Rear suspension mods

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
So, I picked up on an IRS for our cars from Heidts in the introduction posts. Thanks TNFastback for getting me dreaming and blowing any budget figures I had in mind :rolleyes:

http://stang-aholics.com/ShowItem/108398%2065%20-%2073%20Mustang%20%20Independent%20Rear%20Suspension.aspx was the link to the Heidts IRS.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some input from the big block guys on what mods they've done or are planning for the rear end. BT, did you do anything to the Grande with the stroked 460 regarding leafsprings, etc? I was wondering if the power was causing traction fits?

I'm in the dream stage of a 540+ stroked 460 (Kaase heads and intake) and was thinking that a 4 link setup with subframe connectors might be the way to go. Haven't found an out of the box setup for our years 71-73 yet, unless we could use the Torino version from TCI or Heidts?

Any thoughts or info would be appreciated. I figure the rear suspension might need a little help with 600+ HP :D

i'm a 460 big body mustang guy here but i haven't planned any rear suspension quite yet thats realistic in the near 1 year future. when the car is out of the bodyshop soon its going to get the coil over/tubular suspension upgrade in the front with cobra brakes. however i did plan getting something from fatmanfabrication.com guys when i'm done with that stuff. i did however put in some subframe connectors which really stiffen up the suspension and it makes the entire car rumble even more at idle with the cam i got.

Last edited:
So, I picked up on an IRS for our cars from Heidts in the introduction posts. Thanks TNFastback for getting me dreaming and blowing any budget figures I had in mind :rolleyes:

http://stang-aholics.com/ShowItem/108398%2065%20-%2073%20Mustang%20%20Independent%20Rear%20Suspension.aspx was the link to the Heidts IRS.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some input from the big block guys on what mods they've done or are planning for the rear end. BT, did you do anything to the Grande with the stroked 460 regarding leafsprings, etc? I was wondering if the power was causing traction fits?

I'm in the dream stage of a 540+ stroked 460 (Kaase heads and intake) and was thinking that a 4 link setup with subframe connectors might be the way to go. Haven't found an out of the box setup for our years 71-73 yet, unless we could use the Torino version from TCI or Heidts?

Any thoughts or info would be appreciated. I figure the rear suspension might need a little help with 600+ HP :D
I have run the factory heavy duty leaf springs since my car was new.Never had any issues on the drag strip with my 351s or my 460s.I do have the staggard shocks.I never had wheel hop,like my old Mustangs and Cougars.

I have run Lakewood traction bars (not the universal the ones that replace your spring saddles) and now the Cal-tracs with no problems.

The picture I am posting is my car with NO traction aids,factory suspension.

Mustang 2.jpg

Thanks for the input. I imagine it is pretty easy to spin the rear tires?

:) I saw an interesting setup as far as ride heighth goes at the GoodGuys show in Bowling Green in Oct. It was an air bag setup that rode on top of the leaf springs, made by Air Ride Suspensions I believe. It was on a convertible, with 20's on the rear.

For your front end, are you going with rack and pinion also? And, I assume there were no shock tower mods required for the 460?

I have run the factory heavy duty leaf springs since my car was new.Never had any issues on the drag strip with my 351s or my 460s.I do have the staggard shocks.I never had wheel hop,like my old Mustangs and Cougars.

I have run Lakewood traction bars (not the universal the ones that replace your spring saddles) and now the Cal-tracs with no problems.

The picture I am posting is my car with NO traction aids,factory suspension.

Well, that is good input... it would certainly be much better on the budget to keep the relatively new stock leafs I put in.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my Grande, I went with KYBs all around. I changed the springs fore and aft - - using BBF springs ('71 429 iteration) on the front and heavy duty leafs (with an extra leaf) springs in the back.

Again, I have not had the opportunity to take it to the track yet as the car is being painted, but we did a test run when I installed the disc brakes on the front. There was absolutely no wheel hop or sliding. The front end came up to a somewhat scary altitude but it ran straight and true! Brakes worked GREAT too, which I was glad of as with that front end rising and the car not having any wheeley bars, the bottom of my seat was getting somewhat damp:).

I said it before and will repeat it here - - the '71 - '73 Mustangs were MADE for the big block motors. These properly prepared BBF motors will flat out put folks on the trailer if they come half-stepping. The beauty is that with so many folks running them, they have become a lot cheaper to build, too.

That having been said, I will never build another one if the current situation continues. It is so very much easier to order a crate 532, 545 or 557 that is already put together and dynoed in than to build one. I spent approximately 5K building the 472 and it looks like the 545 (going into my Mach 1) is going to be in excess of 10K. Most of the difference was in the fully ported Trick Flow aluminum heads, 4-bolt main block, Stroker rotating assembly (forged crank), roller camshaft and specially prepared 1000HP carburetor.

So much for my rant:)!

BT

Thanks for the input! and good to hear that the leafs can handle it. I guess I like the looks of a 4 link setup, and that IRS that TNfastbk provided a link for is a thing of beauty!

But, like you say I'm sure I'll have at least 10k in the motor for what I'm dreaming of... it may be a dream for a long time :) There is nothing that sounds like a big block. And, I have to keep up with the Jones's as my neighbor has a big block Nova :s

You are welcome I cant be the only broke one on here.

Back