rear sway bar

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilermaster

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback
Het all,

I have been working on my suspension, Swapping parts from my 73 Q code to the 1971 fastback.

Swapped the steering box cause the donor had variable ratio and zero leaks, the standard box was a leaky mess.

Swapped out the 3/4'' front swat bar to the 7/8'' with new bushings and links.

Now comes the rear sway bar and I have some questions.

the 73 Q code has staggered shocks and the 71 does not, that should NOT be a problem right ?

took the bar off of the 73 this afternoon, except for the plates (tomorrow) and on a creeper I snaked it around my 2-1/2'' tail pipes

and it appears to miss the exhaust , but I cannot get the angles right by lying on a creeper and holding the thing up there.

will have to get some links and figure out a way to secure the bushing mounts to the rails before I come up with some kind of blind fasteners up there.

Now my biggest concern: Will I be limited in rear tire size because of the sway bar? and what set of holes do I use ? (there are two sets of holes in both rails) front or rear ?

Was planning on 255/60 R 15 or even 275/60R15 rear tires is this a concern?

Read a lot about rear sway bars this afternoon, but very little was mentioned about interference with exhaust or rear sway bar.

awaiting suggestions\

Boilermaster

Thanks C9ZX and Tony-muscle,

looks like I will be looking for some blind fasteners and rear sway bar links.

Boilermaster

Hope you got the sheet metal brackets to mount the upper shock mounts to the body. Staggered shock cars have unique brackets not of regular cars. You need those to mount the shocks. I have several cars with staggered shocks and sway bar but never really looked at them. If there are no nuts in the frame rails there should at least be holes for them You can insert regular nuts and tack weld them in place. Also you can sometimes use the nuts they use to mount trailer hitches that have the wire welded to them so you can hold over the hole to get the bolt started.

If you need pictures I just brought a 72 vert to garage with sway bar and staggered shocks I can get some pictures if needed later.

Always wondered this as well. I wanna run 10 inch rims but not sure of offset to use

Back