Rear Trunk Spoiler

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfootlarry

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang coupe 302
73 Mustang Convertible
Im placing on my 73 Mustang a rear Trunk Spoiler. I see some diagrams for fastbacks but does anyone have the measurements for a convertible. This convertible has never had a spoiler so I am drilling holes in the trunk for the first time and want the proper measurements.

Thanks

Spoilers were never offered on convertibles so there are no factory measurements. It's up to you where you drill.

Yea I got a vert with the holes in the trunk that I wish were not there. For a spoiler to look right on a vert it needs to be made wider. The PO cut the reinforcement to be able to put nuts on the spoiler and screwed up a rust free trunk lid. Not like I can weld up 4 holes he cut the reinforcement out because it fell in the mount points. The spoiler he used might have been 69-70 I have never measured and in storage now.

Even my wife's 2000 Stang Coupe has a rear spoiler.

Just do it I did looks much better.

Align the rear edge with the end of the trunk lid and center it and drill some holes after measuring several times.

You will drill through the trunk support and you will need to use spacers cut at an angle underneath.

Paul

Don't forget to lay down some good 3M autobody tape on the sheet metal where you will be drilling. Keeps the paint from excessive chipping. Nylon tube spacers (1/4" I think) underneath cut & shaped to fit the profile of the supports.

For me the spoiler on convertible depends on the body color and other accents. I don't think it would look right on my baby blue 73. But I have no body stripes and a white top.

I have seen many different colors and combo's that I think the spoiler looks good. Austin Vert's is a good example. The body color, black top and stripes all help to make the spoiler look good.

Regardless of the loos, the spoiler adds pretty much zero actual funactionality other than adding a bit of weight to the back which will aid in traction. ;)

For me the spoiler on convertible depends on the body color and other accents. I don't think it would look right on my baby blue 73. But I have no body stripes and a white top.

I have seen many different colors and combo's that I think the spoiler looks good. Austin Vert's is a good example. The body color, black top and stripes all help to make the spoiler look good.

Regardless of the loos, the spoiler adds pretty much zero actual funactionality other than adding a bit of weight to the back which will aid in traction. ;)
the same with my car, I wanted it at first, but, my wife pointed out the same things you pointed out (Light blue, no stripes, white top) it just won't look right.

Rear trunks are always spoiled if they have "Camaro" emblems...

Back