rear valance

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
1971-ford-mustang-mach-i-photo-570265-s-1280x782.jpg

I was looking at old photos from 1971 Ford ads and promo pics of early 71 Mustangs and I noticed in one the rear valance was partially painted the color of the car (red) and the rest the matt black. Has anybody else seen this on any other car? See attached pic

That is a great looking car. Love the look with the rear windows down. Wish my Mach had power windows, or at least the cranks to roll them down. I use to have a 67 Chevelle SS & when all the windows were rolled down it looked really sharp.

That is a great looking car. Love the look with the rear windows down. Wish my Mach had power windows, or at least the cranks to roll them down. I use to have a 67 Chevelle SS & when all the windows were rolled down it looked really sharp.
I couldn't agree more I'd love to be able to put my rear windows down on my 72. I had a 66 GT hard top and I used to put them down all the time, it just looked cleaner.

That is a killer looking car! But, ya I've never noticed the body color on the valance before. Was that for 71 only?
That's the same question I have. This was an early promo pic and it maybe something that never made it into regular production cars. I was hoping someone in the forum might know more.

They did some funny subtle things (either in a body shop or in photo retouching) for these marketing shots. I have a pic of a 69 where they completely hid the headlight bucket to front fender joint. just "painted over it" for looks purpose. Not having that seam looks really nice, but its not something that draws your attention as being "wrong". Maybe the little sliver of yellow on this rear valance is a "fake" too. I'd find it far more believable if you had a photo that we had reason to believe wasn't retouched. since it's an ad… all bets are off. I am trying to figure out of they have done that on the rear quarter panel to end cap here. It's completely smooth. our 71 has a seam there - this car doesn't. But our car is a coupe, sooo...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am parting out a 72 vert with power windows. I am rebuilding the pancake motors right now. The only pieces missing are the two rear switch receptacles and the trim for the rear. I am working on getting them now.

David

I am parting out a 72 vert with power windows. I am rebuilding the pancake motors right now. The only pieces missing are the two rear switch receptacles and the trim for the rear. I am working on getting them now.

David
I don't think I could do that conversion on my own. It looks & sounds very difficult. I wish I could though, thank you David for the info! Maybe rpmcarter could use some of that stuff.

David
I don't think I could do that conversion on my own. It looks & sounds very difficult. I wish I could though, thank you David for the info! Maybe rpmcarter could use some of that stuff.
He doesn't seem to be interested.

The actual switch would be a pretty easy bolt in job. You could do it on a Saturday pretty easy. You do have to change the glass due to clearance for the electric motors. That is included in the package. You can add to any model if you have the windows what I have is convertible which I think is same on coupe.

If I can get my hands on one of the clips I can get it reproduced pretty quickly. I was an automotive tooling engineer so I know where to go and what it takes.

David

David

I was looking at old photos from 1971 Ford ads and promo pics of early 71 Mustangs and I noticed in one the rear valance was partially painted the color of the car (red) and the rest the matt black. Has anybody else seen this on any other car? See attached pic
My guess,..and this is only a guess 'cause you don't see it, is that yes, the strip of color was probably used in pre-production cars......although, I really like it on that red Mach 1, as well as the 15" wheels with hubcaps and beauty rings. My Mach 1 originally came like this car, with the shiny trim at the lower body color line, I added the side stripes, but I'm going to repaint the car and I'm considering not putting the stripes back on, maybe removing the wing as well, it sure un-clutters the lines of the car. You guys probably think I'm crazy, but it would actually be how my car came.

Boat Racers Reunion Photos 2005 June.doc

Attachments

• Boat Racers Reunion Photos 2005 June.doc
    133.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
I was in for a break and saw this post again. I went and looked at my original 73 vert that has the black out lower. The car was assembled in the rear when the valance was painted they masked off the black and not a very even line. Would have to pull the bumper to get good shot and will be doing that later to polish and clean under the bumper.

The black was on the car then the yellow sprayed is what I see like around the door opening. There was still masking tape on one of the door sills where they mask off for the yellow. The pic is just above the license plate opening you can see the rubber bumper for plate there.

Like everything on these cars if a human did it they did it many different ways so no telling what came out of factory.

David

DSC00147.JPG

I plan to paint mine to match the vinyl top, and do the front spoiler the same.

Back