Rear wheels offset

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351 CJ all matching numbers, under restoration.
73 Ford Mustang Sprint from Mexico.
Hi,

I have a noticable difference between the right and left wheel. The right one is more outside than the left one.

I check all what I can, and don't find any difference underneath ( leaf spring/drums, leafsprings/rear end). No spacer, same wheels width...

Then last night I was thinking about the drums that I need to check, maybe width difference when I see that some as differnce width friction.

It could be as well the bushings and rubbers, the worth case would be a twisted car due to a  "he tried to imitate https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Blight_HalickiH. B. Halicki".[/URL]

received-1170698419746824.jpg

Hi,

I have a noticable difference between the right and left wheel. The right one is more outside than the left one.

I check all what I can, and don't find any difference underneath ( leaf spring/drums, leafsprings/rear end). No spacer, same wheels width...
Reusing one of David's picts.

Remove the wheels and measure this distance. I recall there were copies/repop of these wheels, may be the PO had to replace one damaged and placed back one of these copies with a different offset.

In case you drive by again, may you have a diff, I have an original pair of these wheels...

(No lugnuts tho, they are for @rackerm once i'll have located the missing 5 that I have stored somewhere)

I change the rims by other ones and same difference. I did measure the wheels when I got the car as well, same thing.

Have you measured the distance of axle to leaf spring plate/pin to axle plate(with lug nuts) ?

I don't know the exact names, but if wheel offset is same, I would think (without picts) that someone adapted/swapped a rear axle and the mounts are not where they should be.

Detail: this car has a Dana 44 rear axle, exclusivly on those Mexican Mustangs.

Merci Fabrice I will check that asap!

Have you measured the distance of axle to leaf spring plate/pin to axle plate(with lug nuts) ?

I don't know the exact names, but if wheel offset is same, I would think (without picts) that someone adapted/swapped a rear axle and the mounts are not where they should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Detail: this car has a Dana 44 rear axle, exclusivly on those Mexican Mustangs.
Found this doc... (sharp if you zoom)

http://www.tricountygear.com/products/media/wysiwyg/Dana_44_Rear_Crate_Axle_Dimensions.jpg

Unless frame is different on a Mexican car, I would compare both axle types (9 and dana) with their exact specs and look where the offset diff could be coming from

A quick a dirty drawing overlay to illustrate what I mean. (If the 9 inch doc would be precise), to align the shaft for the dana as a 9 inch on the car, you'd need to move the axle to passenger side a bit. Creating something similar to what you have.

If you need some measurements on a 9 inch. let me know.

That means that the transmission is not straight along the body? As if I look at the draw, the input shat (Toploader) is not in front of the rear axle yoke?

That means that the transmission is not straight along the body? As if I look at the draw, the input shat (Toploader) is not in front of the rear axle yoke?
You can know that only by measuring.

What I was saying/illustrating is that assuming the car is made for a 9 inch and has no damage, if the Dana that was installed isn't sharing the same alignment/dimensions, to install the Dana with the correct angle on the mustang it would need to be moved sideways to align to the trans. Causing an offset.

Using these 2 picts found online to illustrate (obviously you can't base anything on these), you see that you could explain the offset.

To find out you need to find for both units, their exact width and distance from yoke to one side and calculate if any offset could be present.

From quick searches on the dana, I've found out there are quite a few variations/applications.

As we talk here about an obvious offset in cm scale, one quick way to proceed would be to provide us some picts+distances so that one of us could compare/measure with his own setup.

Just saw what @Don C suggested, and played in photoshop inverting your picts.

I think @Don C sharp eye got that right! Looks like an overlay (quick&dirty repair).

Its so much less work to just place a new piece of a new quarter on top of the old rusty one, bit of bondo + paint and you good to go.

Well done Fabrice!!!

I measured the edge of the wing perpendicularly to the part behind the wheel and I have no difference between them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back