Rear window Plastic or Glass

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

tithompson

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convert
For those who have replaced their tops, did you put in glass or plastic rear windows. If you had to do it again what would you use? I have a replacement top but need a rear curtain/window and would like your opinion.

Thanks

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
For those who have replaced their tops, did you put in glass or plastic rear windows. If you had to do it again what would you use? I have a replacement top but need a rear curtain/window and would like your opinion.

Thanks
In my younger days, I had no cash and had to go with plastic. The only saving grace was as a general rule, the rear window is always down in my car so it never showed.

Every time I had to look at it through my rear view mirror, I wanted to puke. Every time I washed my car, I wanted to puke.

Well, don't be a puker. Get the glass. No comparison. Just know the glass is a lot less forgiving to you leaving a tool or someone else leaving a purse in the convertible top cavity then the plastic. Ask me how I know.

Right now, my rear window is 40 years old. Looks new. Some seam tearing, but I live in California now. Not too worried about the 6" inches of yearly rain, most of that with the car in the garage.

luxstang

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Wolverine is right. If you can put the glass back in.

Now, I have to admit I have a plastic curtain. Why? Simply because I could not find anyone here who could sew the glass backlite into the top at a reasonable price. That kind of labor is scarce and expensive around here. But I still have the original glass and one day it will go back in.

The plastic just gets ugly and loses its transparency within a short time. Mine is almost opaque on the upper third. Looks cheap and nasty on an otherwise pretty decent car.

caspianwendell

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible
1974 Z28 camaro
1963 chevy C10
1999 F150 lariat 4X4
Glass is the best way to go and original

OLE PONY

VIP Members
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
Ditto, go with the glass!

sharpstang72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
351C 2v, 4bbl,FMX, 9" Rear 3.50 gears
No brainer, Glasss glass glass....lol

imusa76

VIP Members
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertable
302 v2 FMX 2.79 rear end
+1 on the glass, it will be worth the extra $$

adm22

Reaction score
Wyoming a small town in the People's Republic of I
My Car
1972 convertible with almost half a million miles 351c- T5 transmission for 24 MPG on the Hwy! Still has a few original parts on it- not many!

also have a 1975 Bricklin with less than 20k miles.
Only advatage to the plastic is that the actual window goes all the way down to the metal. That being said I have had glass and had the window once fall down and shatter it is not safety glass and for years there were pieces of glass popping up in the boot and the back of the car.

red73mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertable
If you're already doing the top, then go for the glass. I did and it's 100% percent better than the hazed over plastic