Rear windshield question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
I remember seeing this question but Search does not find it. I have recently reinstalled my rear windshield, applied the rtv that David recommended, and will have to using Window Weld to install the window trim. All of the trim retainers were replaced and they looked to be an exact replacement during inspection but my original trim will not catch in the majority of spots. My question is: what prevents the rear windscreen from just blowing out if I have the windows down? Maybe I am overthinking this but you guys have been great during this rebuild process with questions. Thanks.

Tom

I am dealing with a similar issue. I think the gasket for the rear window is thicker than the original gasket. The clips don’t catch the rear moldings well, probably about 1/3 as you experienced. I used a lot of sealant installing the rear glass, but I don’t think that contributed to the problem with the moldings. It was necessary to prevent leaks though. Looking forward to other replies I hope.

I am dealing with a similar issue. I think the gasket for the rear window is thicker than the original gasket. The clips don’t catch the rear moldings well, probably about 1/3 as you experienced. I used a lot of sealant installing the rear glass, but I don’t think that contributed to the problem with the moldings. It was necessary to prevent leaks though. Looking forward to other replies I hope.
I remember seeing this question but Search does not find it. I have recently reinstalled my rear windshield, applied the rtv that David recommended, and will have to using Window Weld to install the window trim. All of the trim retainers were replaced and they looked to be an exact replacement during inspection but my original trim will not catch in the majority of spots. My question is: what prevents the rear windscreen from just blowing out if I have the windows down? Maybe I am overthinking this but you guys have been great during this rebuild process with questions. Thanks.

Tom
I have installed several of the rear glass in coupes and fastbacks and have not had this problem.. If the original pins are still intact around the pinch welds from the factory, then the molding clips will pop on and the molding will snap in place.

Thanks Piper62j for your input, did you use new aftermarket clips or the originals. My original clips were all rotted and unusable so I used new clips from NPD. They are all inlace and much tighter that the original ones that were removed. This is where I believe the problem is, the clips are not flexing enough to allow the molding to clip on properly. I have tried to "work" the clips to get a little more flex but it's not helping.

Tom

I had a similar problem with the rear trim. The clips were the problem. I had to find the exact fitting clips. The photo shows the differences in clip heights.
20201012_084106.jpg

I had a similar problem with the rear trim. The clips were the problem. I had to find the exact fitting clips. The photo shows the differences in clip heights.
View attachment 58000
So, Aus73Mach1, which clip did you end up using and where did you get them? Was it somewhere local in your area or did you find them on one of the Mustang vendor sites? Let us know if you can, Thanks!!!

Sorry to say, I can't remember which type I used although I think it was the one on the right. I did buy one set from a Mustang parts import company but also clips that fitted the early 70's Falcons in Australia. I test fitted each type and them made sure they were all the same.

I ran into this as well, the cheap ones from most big box Mustang catalogs are cheap knock offs that are way too stiff. I think I found some good ones at a local Auto Parts store. Or, I might have just ordered different ones from a different supplier. I can't remember. Just order from a couple places and try them. Good luck!!

Back