Rear windshield removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
I wanted to pass on my experience with removing my Mach 1 rear windshield tonight. The total process for removal took about 20-25 minutes from start to having the windshield set to the side on the ground. I removed the trim with a flat tip screwdriver being careful to pop the trim from the retainers without bending (this was after removing the 5 or 6 Philips head screws for the lower trim piece. After that, knowing that I had to buy a new rubber seal to go around the glass, I just removed the outer part of the rubber seal that sat on top of the glass since it was original and very brittle. After that I just lifted the window out since it was not held by any adhesive. Then I removed the remained of the seal that was retained with the adhesive. A few minutes with a heat gun to loosen and remove the remaining adhesive with a scraper and that was it. Using this method, there was no prying on the glass to get it loose or anything. I was very pleased to see that there was now issues or rust holes that had to be attended to and will be sanding down and rust proofing tomorrow. To tell the truth, this may be listed somewhere already but my earlier searches did not find it. It was a very easy process and I wanted to pass this on to the rest of the group here. 

Tom

Back