Rear wing?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
I've got a 71 convertible that Ive been thinking about adding a Mach 1 rear spoiler.

Does anyone know if a rear spoiler was a dealer installed option in 1971?

Any comments about putting a spoiler on a convertable?

I've seen some verts with rear spoilers and they look pretty good! I don't know if it was a factory or dealer option though.

a dealer could install it, back then the dealer would do anything for money.

one thing: if the car didn't come with the wing from the factory then it had regular trunk springs.

there are a heavy set of trunk torsion rods when used for the wing.

the wing is pretty heavy and even if you have the torsion bars adjusted all the up, it will cause the trunk lid to fall down very easy.

my car did not come with a wing originally, so i experienced this issue, eventually i torsion-ed the truck bars all the way up because the trunk deck lid was dangerous, and i could not find the correct springs from a donor car, i still have to watch it doesn't fall on my head but its better then it was.

a convertible trunk lid is really long compared to a fastback so i would think the problem would be worse since the springs would be further stressed.

anyhoo, we have 2 guys in the club with convertibles that install the rear wing on the deck lid so...

I put a wing on my 73 convertible. I do not know if it was a factory option, but I like the look.

I was not aware that you can adjust the torsion rods. I need to do that since my deck lid will not stay up on its own.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a wing on my 73 convertible. I do not know if it was a factory option, but I like the look.

I was not aware that you can adjust the torsion rods. I need to do that since my deck lid will not stay up on its own.

Mike
Good string, I've been thinking of putting one on my 73 but have read on other forums that the pedistools provided are too short for the convertible and the tips of the spoiler will touch the rear quarters. If you have them already installed, maybe you could post pics along with any tips on installing them. Thanks, they do look good.

Marty

Mike

Just a heads up, Be VERY Careful if you decide to adjust the torsion bars, there was a tool that went on the end and acted like a handle so you could more easily get the rod to the next adjustment point it looked like a flat bar with a slot and a hole drilled in it.

when i did mine i looked on a few forums but could never find a picture of the bar, so i ended up attempting it with a pair of locking pliers and gloves.

sure enough it slipped and I almost lost an eye. the rod then went flying all around the trunk, falling out of the mounting hole and knocking the clip off, it took me about 2 hours to figure out how it went back together on the left side then man handle the rod into its new more coiled position, and then repeat the same procedure on the right side. it is possible to get the rod torsion-ed into a more coiled position using gloves and pliers but it will test your will when your into it. take a picture of how your springs are currently seated so just in case the thing flies out you will know how its suppose to go back together. Wear safety goggles also.

you know after the trouble it was to re-torsion the lighter trunk springs, i can't imagine what it would of been like with the heavier trunk springs. *shudder*

oh a saving grace for you coupe and vert guys is your trunk lids open up and give you a lot more room to work, working on the much smaller fastback trunk deck lid is pure hell.

Yes, it is a standard 71-73 rear spoiler. Thanks for the complement!

Mike

Latest posts

Back