Rebuilding a 71 Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Coupe, 351C 2V, C6, apparently was 250 I6 base coupe. Needs a bit of TLC and mucho dinero. Body is straight, which is a good start.
Hello,

Joined just over a week ago, after getting a project, my 'new' 71 coupe.   The car started as a base 71 coupe, 250 with whatever automatic, in Maroon and black vinyl.   Now it is a whatever Cleveland based motor, the seller didn't know if it was a 351, 351M or 400, plus a C6, and a 9" rear.  The only working gauge in the car is a tacked on oil pressure, which if correct, says the motor may be in pretty good shape internally.  Trans shifts, and the rear doesn't sing or grind.   

Due to work and other stuff, I really haven't really spent much time looking at it other than making sure as best as I could the car was as straight and square as it could be for the 47 years it's been around.  According to the title prefix, in good ole NJ, I am owner No. 10.   Need to pull things apart to really see how this will turn out.  As a 01, L code, this will never have any type of collector value, so I plan to have fun and do it up a bit at a time.   Looking at both Rod & Custom, or Total Control for the suspension.  Like the idea of clearing out the towers, but really need to do what I can with what I have and not go overboard. Also want to ditch the leafs out back, but we'll see.   

Going with either Mach 1 or Grande interior, in black.  Cloth seems interesting, since it can be a bit cooler in the summer, air or no air, so maybe opt for the Grande.  Full gauges too.  Not going with Dakota or the other aftermarket clusters, staying with rebuilt Ford stuff.   

Whatever the motor really is, and I hope it is a 351C and not one of the others, I will be rebuilding that if the block is good and can be used.   Keep the 9" if the housing is straight.  On the trans, since I plan on this being a driver, I may opt for the AOD over the C6, but again, need to really see.    Posting a picture of the 'good side'.  Picture makes it look really good.   Glad to be on the site.  

My absolute favorite Mustang is a 69 428 shaker 4spd Mach 1 in dark green.   Not this time around though.  

Looks like a nice ride. The “m” engines have a raised deck the Cleveland’s do not. Look at the front of the block where the intake mates to the block behind the distributor. A Cleveland the intake will be nearly flush where as the modified will have additional iron raising the intake up. Hope this helps. The modified motors can be built to make good power and torque just as a Cleveland so if it is a modified don’t just give up on it.

And also. Welcome from Iowa.
Thanks for the information and the welcome from Iowa.  My wife and a have a very good friend from Independence IA. Great person.   I  forgot about the extra inch or so in deck height.   I will check it out.   I saw an article on the DIYFord.com site about a 351/400 rebuild that was done by TFS.   Looks like a plan to me.   480 to 500 ponies w around 450 - 460 torque is good enough for me in this car.

While this is not a look too far from what I have, I would want something like this.   Since I need to replace hacked up floor replacements, maybe repaint to other than Maroon, but again, not sure yet.    While everyone seems to have them, I would love a set of 15x8 Magnums.  Seems hard to find any RWL tires with an H or better rating in 235 or 255 60 x 15.  What I would like is a re-pop of the early 70s Goodyear Polyglas RWL lettering in a performance radial.  Probably not much interest in that, or Goodyear will not play along.

By the way, your Grande looks to be very good. Forgot to mention that now 2x. Did you lower with stock style suspension or replace with coil overs?

By the way, your Grandé looks to be very good.  Forgot to mention that now 2x.  Did you lower with stock style suspension or replace with coil overs?
Lowered with stock style suspension. Done right the stock suspension on the 71-73 mustangs was actually pretty good and the car handles great. The big difference was having my steering box rebuilt to a quick ratio box.

Welcome from Western Australia and good to see another coupe project
I work with a guy from Pfizer in Perth Australia. Usually get to chat (work stuff mostly) once a month or so.  Thanks for the welcome.

Nice to see another coupe will be saved.

Welcome from the northern Netherlands
Fabrice, 

Thanks for the welcome.  Two Mustangs..,  very good, and I am sure, not very common.  351C and the 429, excellent examples to be cruising the Benelux area!   I spend time now and then in Puurs, Belgium, with work.

Welcome from Omaha!
Not A T5.... Must be a Toploader?  Thanks for the welcome.   

Way, way back when I was in college, and close friend whose family ran a somewhat large and prosperous body shop and state affiliated holding yard, storing totaled cars for insurance companies.   He and his compadres, put together some strong cars, none of which I could afford to make my own.  They took a wrecked 69 Mach 1, and he put a 427 side oiler, medium riser engine, with the ole Toploader and a 9" with 391 rear.  I see that car all the time in my head, it truly ran like a bat outta hell.  Probably why a shaker 69 Mach 1 in dk green (forgot the code or name) is my favorite Mustang.   Got the 71 now, so I will hopefully make something great out of this too.

Back