Rebuilt AOD Trans

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainey

Reaction score
My Car
1972 H-code Mach1
2010 GT Premium
2004 F150- The "home depot" machine
2018 HD RoadGlide Ultra
Hello Trainey,

That is a nice buy. Since you are converting, is the shifter lever still stock from the original car or has it been replaced with the shit Lever made to fit the 71-73 shifter? Here is a website that I used with research FMX to AOD conversion.

mustang7173

Hello Trainey,

That is a nice buy. Since you are converting, is the shifter lever still stock from the original car or has it been replaced with the shit Lever made to fit the 71-73 shifter? Here is a website that I used with research FMX to AOD conversion.

mustang7173
No link???

I believe you can use the original shifter. Not sure if it will need modification, but Lokar sells an adjustable "universal" adapter.... there are 2. One has a 1/4 inch slot and one has a 5/16 inch slotted lever. The adapter goes on the transmission and has a slotted lever to accept the shift cable.

Added... part number is something lime Three letters -1000 or -1001 depending on if you need the 1/4" or 5/16" slit in the lever

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bad price.

Can you use the original shifter or somehow make it fit?
I am not sure about the shifter yet. I have read Mister 4 x 4's posts intently. I know he modified and used the later model Mustang shifter. We'll see. It will be this summer before I'm ready to make the swap. I am also switching to 4V Cobrajet heads, new cam, intake and carb all at the same time while I have the engine out.

You can use the original floor shifter, but you need to modify the linkage.
Can you clarify a bit? Does the linkage at the shifter need a mod, or the linkage at the tranny? Or both?

I came across this Lokar adapter(that goes on the tranny) that I think is all I need, but I have read many posts about needing to alter the angle of the actual shifter lever. The slot allows an almost "universal" fitment, and the lever can be attached in almost any position via the 3 little bolts that attach it to the pivot.

selectshaft-arm.png

Also, before purchasing the trans, verify that it has the CORRECT 5.0 HO internals, not just the standard Crown Vic or V6 stuff.

Truck units are another variation and have longer tailshafts, also.

They will bolt up to any small block, but the case of the Crown Vic unit that I installed in my 5.0 Mustang, it will shift mushier and at a much lower RPM than the HO calibrated unit will. It will feel like a grandpa car, which mine does.

Although driveable and in great condition, it shifts pretty early, and is in OD just before 40mph.

The rest of my drivetrain is stock (read: doggy), so it is kind of tolerable.

I believe a simple governor change to an HO unit will fix this (there are upgrade spring/weight kits available for the gov also).

I'd ask a boatload of questions before popping big coin for a undocumented rebuild.

There is a difference...

Silverfox is a good place to reference regarding the wonderland of AOD's:

http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/silverfoxtrans.com/VB_AOD.html

This place is actually late model mustang salvage yard. The AOD's come from 5.0 Mustangs from the Fox boy era. I picked it up on Saturday. Got it for $529 plus tax, which I feel is a good buy, and I'm willing to take a little bit of a chance that they did a good job on the rebuild.

Hey, that seems like a good deal but like the other member states does it have high performance parts or is it just a plain simple built?

My question is, if I replace it w/my FMX, do need to make major modifications such as drive shaft, bellhousing, and trans lines along w/ other cables?

Thanks,

Hey, that seems like a good deal but like the other member states does it have high performance parts or is it just a plain simple built?

My question is, if I replace it w/my FMX, do need to make major modifications such as drive shaft, bellhousing, and trans lines along w/ other cables?

Thanks,
To switch from FMX, you will need:

1 Lokar TV cable (KD2AODHT) This is a mechanical kickdown cable

2 Lokar bracket (SRK4000 for Edelbrock carb... Diff part number if Holly) This is the bracket that holds the kick down cable to the engine block in the proper place

3 Lokar shift linkage shaft and arm (625-ATA-1000) This is a universal shift linkage (attachement of cable at the tranny) that allows you to use the stock shifter and cable.

4 AOD slip yoke. The rest of your drive shaft and rear end will be fine (assuming a 71-73 Mustang)

5 new speedometer gear - maybe?.. will need to match your existing, but be for the AOD unless you are changing your rear end gears.... then you will need a completely different one.

6 your existing cross member will either need replaced or modified. The AOD oil pan is larger and won't allow an un-modified cross member. It is simple to cut off a bit of the existing cross member.

7 transmission mount... some say yes you will need a new one but others say no

8 AOD cooling lines. The FMX tranny cooling lines will not line up, so a set of AOD cooling lines will work with some minor bending... Or you cold get flexible braided stainless steel lines and custome fit them.

9 new flywheel bolts... The FMX bolts will be too short. according to another thread by mister4x4, Mr. gasket part number 6710 works well.

If you have a 351c, you can re-use your flex plate and back plate

There may be more.. I'm about 2 months into the research phase, and will be in swap mode come then end of the month.

Do people change to AOD for lowering rpm at high speed, and an extra gear? Is it really worth it? What's the major benefit? I'm not drag racing or anything, just like to cruise around in my 72 vert and maybe kick it once in a while.

Thanks for the info cz-75.

My purpose is to regain a highway gear after putting the 3.50 rear gears in. Plus the FMX is not known to be a great trans so I would rather upgrade to the AOD, than rebuild the FMX.

Ditto.

I am going to 3.89 rear end gears, which will really improve my ability to jump off the line at a traffic light when some young punk in a Civic with obnoxious fart pipes on it needs to be knocked down :)

The OD will allow me to go freeway speeds without killing my engine.

The AOD and FMX have identical gears 1 thru 3... It just has an overdrive that reduces RPMs at high speeds.

You can get a wide ratio AOD which has the gear set from a 4R70W installed which gives it a more aggressive first gear. That is what I am doing.

Back