Rebuilt my Zbar and had some tips to share

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

td71mach1

Slow down for a second and that's where you Finish
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 4v
The lower swivel hole was egged out so I added a little tig weld inside the hole, filed it down to round it out.
I used a Hurst Pit Pack bushing kit to line the two holes for a much better fit than the oem plastic bushings.
You will have to carefully sand off approx. .020 from each bushing to obtain a good fit.
Then use the Pit Pack spring to hold the new swivel in place.
The end result made every thing move and pivot much smoother and precise.

Attachments

• zbar rebuild (1).jpg
    zbar rebuild (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • zbar rebuild (2).jpg
    zbar rebuild (2).jpg
    714.1 KB · Views: 0
  • zbar rebuild (3).jpg
    zbar rebuild (3).jpg
    901.8 KB · Views: 0
  • zbar rebuild (4).jpg
    zbar rebuild (4).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • zbar rebuild (5).jpg
    zbar rebuild (5).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • zbar rebuild (6).jpg
    zbar rebuild (6).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Bragging allowed and encouraged 👍
Thanks, I just don't like to give any impression I'm better than someone else with different abilities. We all have our strengths and I for sure have my weaknesses.
Going back to the bronze bushings, I also added bearings to the clutch pivot. I bought the kit from Mustang Steve. He did a good job, but again, as a machinist, I could just as easily done it myself. One little change I did need to make and that was to grind an angle on the bearing carriers to offset the draft angle on the hanger bracket. Without that, the bearings would not align with the shaft. Also a welder is needed to attach the bearing carriers. This is where perhaps the Scott Drake version may be better and I say may with reservation.
Again, this is a mod that would be highly recommended. My clutch pedal pressure was greatly reduced and now the wife can drive the car. Why did I do that mod!!!???

Back