Rechroming Vendors Bumpers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

I have the 1973 rear bumper that has the rubber bumper strips. We all know that the factory punched the mounting hole during the manufacturing process when new. We also know that the re-pops do not have the mounting hole features.

So, who has looked into a Chrome Plating vendor, used them, and is satisfied with their finished product?

Here is one vendor who does front and rear for $480 each. He triple plates the bumpers.

mustang7173 :chin:

All,

I have the 1973 rear bumper that has the rubber bumper strips. We all know that the factory punched the mounting hole during the manufacturing process when new. We also know that the re-pops do not have the mounting hole features.

So, who has looked into a Chrome Plating vendor, used them, and is satisfied with their finished product?

Here is one vendor who does front and rear for $480 each. He triple plates the bumpers.

You didn't provide info/link for the vendor you mentioned.

Ray

Ray,

My Apologizes!

http://www.restorationchrome.com/

Thank You

mustang7173 :thankyouyellow:

All,

You didn't provide info/link for the vendor you mentioned.

Ray

I also have the same bumper that needs re-chroming and it was around $500.00 to get that done. I liked the look of the bumper without the guards and went that route and was only a little over $100.00 for the repop. Material is not as thick but I think it looks pretty good. Just another option to consider.

IMG_1684.JPG

car rear.JPG

Jeff,

Oh baby! That is sweet! I will look into that!

Thanks

mustang7173 :bravo:

Hello mpbsr,

Is the shop http://www.superchrome.info/?

There is a shop is Asbury Park, NJ that quoted me $275 to rechrome.

Just in case someone is interested and local.

Hello judge,

Yes, that would be one solution. I am not real crazy about how thin the metal of the re-pops are!

Thank you for responding!

Drilling a repo bumper could be considered also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would by that NOS piece. I paid more than that for a new NOS in the wrapper. You will be much happier with the quality and gauge of the metal. You may not find another in the near future.

Jeff,

Thanks

Hello mpbsr,

Hello judge,

Yes, that would be one solution. I am not real crazy about how thin the metal of the re-pops are!

That's the shop in Asbury Park. I'm very tempted to pull my bumper off for a rechrome, but hate to pull it and have problems since it hasn't been off in 25 years.

Good Morning Steve,

Is the steel the same thickness as the original? Also, I do not see the oval holes for the rubber bumper strips.

Here is an original NOS Bumper with the rubber mounting slots on E-bay.

vomx79.jpg

I do not believe this bumper is reproduced.

Thank You

This rear bumper is made with triple chrome-plated steel and has the mounting holes drilled in the original locations already so it is ready to install once you get the hardware.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/bumper-rear-1971-1973/p/B4R/

Hello mpbsr,

Has the current chrome plating dulled or is not as shiny when you bolted back on? Can you take a picture for us?

Thanks

Jeff,

Thanks

Hello mpbsr,

Hello judge,

That's the shop in Asbury Park. I'm very tempted to pull my bumper off for a rechrome, but hate to pull it and have problems since it hasn't been off in 25 years.

Good Morning Steve,

Is the steel the same thickness as the original? Also, I do not see the oval holes for the rubber bumper strips.

vomx79.jpg

Thank You

This rear bumper is made with triple chrome-plated steel and has the mounting holes drilled in the original locations already so it is ready to install once you get the hardware.

Hello mpbsr,

Has the current chrome plating dulled or is not as shiny when you bolted back on? Can you take a picture for us?

Thanks

Jeff,

Thanks

Hello mpbsr,

Hello judge,

As stated it hasn't been off in 25 years. It's still shiny, but does have some pitting but a few very small spots where the chrome is gone.

All,

I purchased the bumper on E-Bay after jeff8877 recommend the listing. I called the vendor and ended up with paying $225.00 for the bumper.

mpbsr, thank you for providing your information per this request post.

All, it looks like if you have the standard bumper, then a good reproduction from the site supporting vendors would be one good solution. But, if you have the 1973 rear bumper with the impact strips, then it is going to be either NOS or send it to a re-chrome vendor for approximately price starting @ $425.00.

Maybe someone will reproduce the 1973 rear bumper with the impact strip mounting holes.

Thank You,

mustang7173

All,

I purchased the bumper on E-Bay after jeff8877 recommend the listing. I called the vendor and ended up with paying $225.00 for the bumper.

mpbsr, thank you for providing your information per this request post.

All, it looks like if you have the standard bumper, then a good reproduction from the site supporting vendors would be one good solution. But, if you have the 1973 rear bumper with the impact strips, then it is going to be either NOS or send it to a re-chrome vendor for approximately price starting @ $425.00.

Maybe someone will reproduce the 1973 rear bumper with the impact strip mounting holes.

Thank You,

mustang7173
As per Superchrome.

Driver quality 275. Yes the bumper would need to be off the car.

Best regards,

Deborah Barrett

Carlton-Cooke Metal Finishing

Office Manager

Office: 732-774-2210

Fax: 732-774-2240

email: [email protected]

Good Morning Steve,

vomx79.jpg

Thank You

Hello mpbsr,

Thanks

Jeff,

Thanks

Hello mpbsr,

Hello judge,

Sorry I was off Friday, are you speaking of the holes up top? Yeah I don't think ours have those as I don't see them in the photo but I could have my photographer maybe shoot a new one so that we have a better picture and can adjust any description we may have accordingly.

Good Morning Steve,

I have not seen any reproduction bumpers with the impact strip mounting holes. I would like to see one for 1973 Mustang owners. Please look at the next post. I have a picture of the NOS one I found.

Thank You

Mustang7173 :thankyouyellow:

Good Morning Steve,

vomx79.jpg

Thank You

Hello mpbsr,

Thanks

Sorry I was off Friday, are you speaking of the holes up top? Yeah I don't think ours have those as I don't see them in the photo but I could have my photographer maybe shoot a new one so that we have a better picture and can adjust any description we may have accordingly.

All,

I just received the NOS 1973 Mustang rear bumper with the impact rubber strip mount holes from NOS Ltd. on E-Bay. It is a beautiful thing.

5un0wh.jpg

Back