Recommendation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Consider the Comp Hooker set. The Supers are a little much for stock displacement 351C, unless you plan to spin it past 6700 RPM. And read the Warranty on break in for the coating VERY carefully. I hope you find something you want. Chuck

Just last weekend I installed a pair of Hooker 6915's on my 72 w/351c 4v, PS, C6. They fit very well with plenty of clearance. My only complaint is that the upper screw on cylinder 6 or 7 has to go in first and must use a hex bolt and open end wrench. I think hooker should have made a slight indentation in the tube to allow for a socket or box wrench.

The collectors are angled towards the center of car where my previous headers went straight back. I had to do some cutting and welding, but it all fit up nicely. I went with ceramic coated because the metallic version are on sale. I think I'd prefer black if they had both been on sale. The flange is just over 0.3" and is machined. There is no longer a welded bead to compress the gasket. The collector flange is also very thick (didn't measure but looks about the same).

Looking for recommendation for headers for 1971 Mach 1, 351C 4 barrel, C6 Transmisions with power steering.
Was looking for Hooker 6211-1HKR, but can't locate any. Thanks for any advise

Like Chuck and Basstrix, I'll recommend the 6915s. I have had them on four 71-73 351C cars and had no issues with them. As basstrix noted, the welded and often not flat sealing beads are gone. The flange is much thicker and I simply used a set of FelPro 1416 header gaskets and have no leaks.

Before you ask, these fit just fine without issues regarding PS, PB, AC or automatic transmissions - regardless of what the various application guides say.

Last edited:
Fourth was said by Chuck, Basstrix and Hemikiller. The instructions on mine said that it didn't work with the C6 (or was the PS, memory is failing me), but it fits very well. I also had a 4V, C6 and PS. I used the one with the black ceramic coating. I recommend this coating. They travel less than an inch from the steering box. I am planning on adding a little wrap in the area where it comes close to the box.

Absolutely the easiest header I've ever installed on V-8. I used the black coating as well, trying to make them harder to see. Chuck

Ford powertrain application headers hand down! The quality, fit and finish are second to none. I have installed them on my brothers 70 Boss 302 with no issue with fit around the factory clutch Zbar. They don't hang low at all. the O.E.M ball style collector seals perfect. I was so impressed I ordered a set for my 71 Mach 1 351c 4v. These headers are made in the USA and made to order.

My experience on the install of the headers on my Mach 1. On the test fit the headers did hit the after market polyurethane engine mounts. I installed a Moog engine mount to see and had plenty of clearance. I feel this was no fault to the headers. The bolts went threw the flanges to the head with ease when installing. After install the milodon oil pan hangs lower than the headers.

The only thing down fall is you need to open you wallet WIDE for a set.

Attachments

• IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    469.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2548.JPG
    IMG_2548.JPG
    644.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1737.JPG
    IMG_1737.JPG
    636.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1739.JPG
    IMG_1739.JPG
    445.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2868.JPG
    IMG_2868.JPG
    486.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2875.JPG
    IMG_2875.JPG
    464.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2948.JPG
    IMG_2948.JPG
    589.3 KB · Views: 0
Ford powertrain application headers hand down! The quality, fit and finish are second to none. I have installed them on my brothers 70 Boss 302 with no issue with fit around the factory clutch Zbar. They don't hang low at all. the O.E.M ball style collector seals perfect. I was so impressed I ordered a set for my 71 Mach 1 351c 4v. These headers are made in the USA and made to order.

My experience on the install of the headers on my Mach 1. On the test fit the headers did hit the after market polyurethane engine mounts. I installed a Moog engine mount to see and had plenty of clearance. I feel this was no fault to the headers. The bolts went threw the flanges to the head with ease when installing. After install the milodon oil pan hangs lower than the headers.

The only thing down fall is you need to open you wallet WIDE for a set.
By the way, what brand TKO cross member in your last photo?

From what I am reading on Hooker/Holley site is that the Hooker 6915 with not work with Power Steering and Power Brakes ??, But will work with C6

You missed this in my reply

Before you ask, these fit just fine without issues regarding PS,PB, AC or automatic transmissions - regardless of what the various application guides say.

Last edited:
Fourth was said by Chuck, Basstrix and Hemikiller. The instructions on mine said that it didn't work with the C6 (or was the PS, memory is failing me), but it fits very well. I also had a 4V, C6 and PS. I used the one with the black ceramic coating. I recommend this coating. They travel less than an inch from the steering box. I am planning on adding a little wrap in the area where it comes close to the box.
Tony do you have your 6915s on a 1971 351c For some reason Hooker says 72-73 only

Back