Redhead powersteering box question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripper679

Reaction score
Hello! My car (73 Coupe 302) has a redhead powersteering box (with the quick ratio steering worm deal). I was told the box is a saginaw and the fittings on the box M18x1.5 (pressure) and M16x1.5 (rerurn).
My pump is a tuff stuff 6176B (also a saginaw) with a 5/16x18 sae threads.

Where in all that is holy do I get lines made? Or I can make them myself.... just don't know the fitting type (do they have o rings? I looked online but became overwhelmed with options). My car had thus entire system missing so I have nothing to compare it to.
So that's sweet.

I can make my own lines if I know the fitting type. I even have the machine to make high pressure lines (the kind that use the machine to crimp steel fittings to high pressure line).

I really want to be able to steer my car, any help is appreciated!!
Kick ass!
Manny

Hi Manny,
Well, I can't be 100% certain of the inlet and return port sizes, I don't seem to be able to find that info right now, but of the 5 PS boxes I've rebuilt myself, none were metric threads on those ports. Unless they have been re-machined by RedHead and converted to metric, that would be the only reason I can think of.
I'll look further for the thread sizes and get back unless someone else has that info. I can tell you that the inlet is different to the return.
I'll continue to check the hose sizes. As for lines, NPD sell them in SAE sizes.
EDIT:
found it, Before 1981, the HP inlet was 11/16" and the return was 5/8" flared fittings. After 1981, they switched to metric.
So, it all depends on which year box you have. I'm only conversant with pre 1980.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Any good hydraulic hose shop should be able to make you up the proper hose with correct fittings. Too bad you don't have hoses to act as a template, though....

Any chance you could post a close-up of the ports on your steering box?

Also, Summit racing has a ton of adapters, but it is difficult to search through them.
Thanks all for the help... here is my setup in my car. Please excuse the crummy pics. I circled the port for the pump (5/16x18 thread). Any idea what my lines should look like or what fittings I need? I don't mind making my lines.... just have no idea what fittings I need to order.

Thanks all again!

Attachments

• 20221027_182852.jpg
    20221027_182852.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20221027_183118.jpg
    20221027_183118.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
That looks like regular old inverted flare ports. Stock hoses should work.

I’d probably take some acetone on a q-tip and clean out those ports.

Attachments

• 80795F8C-131E-4E4A-A4A5-945E47258A90.png
    80795F8C-131E-4E4A-A4A5-945E47258A90.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 1
If that's the original steering box it doesn't have metric hose fittings. The metric line fittings I've seen have a crimp in the line and an o-ring, not an inverted flare.
That looks like a GM style Saginaw pump.

Back