Reinstall A/C System?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssiegel4

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
When I bought my '73 vert over a year ago the air conditioning had been removed (to save weight, presumably, and also because, well, it's a convertible). The seller, however, gave me all the parts in a box. I now realize that as the days get hotter it may be impractical for me to drive it when it gets into the 80's and higher so I'm giving some thought to reinstalling the AC. I have a few questions:
  1. Did the AC in these cars ever work well enough to really cool things off? I'm trying to determine if the benefit is worth the investment of reinstallation.
  2. Assuming I've got all the parts I need, I still don't know jack squat about how to install it. I've looked around online and so far I haven't been able to find detailed, specific instructions (video or otherwise) on how to do this. As a layperson (albeit with some decent mechanical skills), is it reasonable to presume that I could do it myself?
  3. If I shouldn't (or couldn't) do it myself, any idea what a mechanic would charge to do the reinstallation (as well as the recharge/conversion to the last refrigerant)?
  4. And finally (thanks for reading through all this, BTW), the heater in the car doesn't work; nothing happens when I flick the switches and move the sliders. Is this because the AC components were removed? Or did I forget to reconnect something when I worked on the console?
Thanks so much for indulging me in all this and I appreciate all your time and expertise!

1. Yes, with R12 refrigerant they worked very well. Modified to use R134 they still work okay. R134 requires different o-rings and compatible oil for the system.

2. With basic mechanical ability you should be able to install all the components. You will need someone with the equipment to evacuate and charge the system once installed.

3. No idea. Do as much of the work yourself as you can.

4. Are the heater hoses connected to the heater core? If the hoses are connected make sure someone hasn't put something inside the hoses to block the water flow (may indicate a leaking heater core). Check the heater control valve in the heater hose to make sure it is operating correctly.

I have to say these original Ford AC systems worked very well. Not sure if being a convertible would make it harder for the system to keep up if it is hot and sunny outside. Back in the late 1970's a friend of mine drove his dad's '73 Mercury Montego, 351-2V and factory AC. That AC unit could turn the car into a refrigerator quite well. And his did spent very little on car maintenance so I doubt the AC was serviced very often if at all by '79 or so.

The factory A/C in our 1969 Shelby GT500 does a terrific job keeping the cabin cool on even the hottest of days, and without causing the engine temp to got overheated. It still used R-12.

On a car that had AC, there was a vacuum activated valve that turned the hot water (anti-freeze/water mixture) flow on and off to the heater core. If all the AC stuff was removed, it could be that valve was removed or disconnected from the vacuum control. Photos of what the heater hose set up looks like now could be helpful in diagnosing the heater problem.

Just finished an HVAC redo on my 1973 convertible. I can attest that a/c works just fine in the convertible. When I got the car, the heater core was blocked off with a 1/2 " plumbing cap. Classy. A/C didn't work, but looked like it should. I took out the dash so I could reach everything to re-do. Key points are that you need a good controller, and a functional octopus (the vacuum bundle). Everything in the Box needs to work smoothly and not be rust impaired. Lots of work, but will add value and fun to your ownership.

Back