Remote Motorized Side View Mirrors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Stock 1973 Mustang Convertible with a 351C 2v and C6
Modified 1970 Mach 1 M-Code with a 351C 4v Manual
I always wanted to add motorized side view mirrors to our cars. Well in my case my 1970 Mach 1 project car. I have seen posts (elsewhere) where folks have adapted 2015 Mustang side view mirrors to a 1969 Mustang, but I wanted to have a more original look.

Well with some research, a few parts from a (non-Ford) donor car and some fabrication and experimentation, I made it work. As an added bonus, I incorporated sequential LED directional lights to the package. I made very little mods to the original mirror. Obviously a hole thru the inside of the pedestal and the housing where the two meet for the wires. Also needed to fashion a custom mount bracket inside to mount the motor and mirror. Check out the video attachment file at the bottom of the passenger side it in operation.....

free image hosting

20190717_141713_1.mp4

Attachments

• 20190717_141713_1.mp4
    1.7 MB
Last edited by a moderator:
That is awesome. Can you post some details on this, what was used etc? I would love to have power mirror on passenger side and get rid of my adjusting stick.

Details, please.

Austin Vert also did this, using '94 T-Bird mirrors.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-austin-vert-invents-power-mirrors-for-71-73-mustangs?

Be interesting to see what you used and how you mounted them. I've given up looking for '73-ish Ranchero right-side remote mirrors and have decided to adapt power mirrors to my housings.

Thanks
I did not know that Austin also did it. I should have looked for his posts, it would made my research much easier. I made my motor mount and attached it to the pedestal mounting plate inside the housing. So to disassemble it you have to take the mirror off the car and remove the housing screws inside the pedestal. Then the pedestal, mirror and motor assembly comes right off the housing. I been thinking of trying to add mustang puddle lights to it, but that would require drilling  a hole in the bottom of the housing.

All, I am thinking that something like a Toyota or even a Ford Fusion or Focus with small power mirrors may be a good candidate for the transplant.

The smaller the better on the mirror housing. I did not use any of those you mentioned. I did use the switch you pictured, Ford used it on a lot of vehicles. It took me a while to map out the eight pinouts and make it work the two mirrors and move them in the right direction. I am going to try another motor to see if it will improve on the mod. Once I a comfortable with the entire mod, I'll post more detail.

Back