Removal of rear and front wind shield question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73FastBk

Reaction score
Im in the process of installing a new headliner and have watch some fellow member on YouTube doing the same exact thing. 

but my questions is, how do I remove the chrome trim without bending them? Is there a good trick to doing it or do I need the proper tool for it?  Thank you in advance. 

P.s. if y’all have any trick to doing the install feel free to share :)

You should use a trim removal tool. Below is a link for a windshield trim removal tool.  Some guys make their own.    I would recommend watching a few youtube videos first so you understand how to do it.  

Several of the members have gotten the one piece headliner that you can put in without removing the widows.   You might want to check into it.  Not for sure on the cost but they said they looked good.  Also eliminates the risk of breaking a window when trying to take them out.  If you go that route you will loose the classic bow/stitch look.  

1965 Ford Mustang - How to Remove Window Trim and Their Molding Clips with a Trim Remover Tool - YouTube

Amazon.com: Tool Aid S&G (87700) Jiggler Reveal Molding Remover: Automotive

Tmi one piece molded head liner - Interior, Seats, Door Panels, Trunk, Glass, etc - 7173Mustangs.com

There is absolutely no reason to bend it. If not coming off you are doing something wrong. The tool in the picture is used to hook each of the spring clips and pull them in toward the glass to release the trim. I use a plastic trim removal tool to pry up to prevent scratching glass. The back glass has a rubber seal so you just cut the old one with a box knife and take the glass out. The front uses urethane and you also cut out you can get a tool from Harbor Freight or any automotive body shop supply. Along the bottome of the front I use a long kitchen knife to cut the sealer spray with WD- 40 to keep moving. DO NOT use metal tools to pry on the glass only plastic or wood. Watch some videos on how to go back in. http://www.autopartsdb.net/assets/images/ProductImg/A/A7914.JPG

Thank you guys for the help!!! I’m going to decide if I should go with the classic headliner or order the custom fit one. I already bought it but it was only 40 bucks. 

i really love to keep everything original. That’s my only con going that route.

thank you guys :) 

Best of luck with your headliner restoration!  I would recommend a "while you're in there project," be picking up a rattle can of vinyl/plastic touch up paint for the A and C pillars, as well as the seatbelt hooks. I also used some semigloss (or check with the concours guys for the correct sheen) to touch up the screws post wire brushing to remove any oxidation. 

If you want a really good touch-up paint, buy SEM Trim Black. I used this for all my repainting in the interior as well as some exterior work. It take 48 hours to reach full cure, but after that, it's very durable. Color and sheen match very well imo.

Another while you're in there item is I'd probably add some insulation. A lot of guys put in sound deadening which is great, but if you can get something that will insulate for heat and sound, even better. 

Back