Removing export braces

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Régis

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 1973 Q code
Hi,

I would like to remove the braces from firewall to shocktower to replace it.

What is the right way? Any precautions? What happens when removing the bolts over shocktowers? Do i need to jack up the car?

Thank you for your answer! ( i'm afraid to make a mistake... ).

You should be fine removing them while the car is on the ground. The bolts for the shock tower mount are captured bolts in grooves on the top of the shock tower. They only hold the shock so nothing will come flying off. The cowl bolts can be a bit tricky if you car has had some body damage or rust. Sometimes putting a jack under the floor support brace (with a 2x4 to avoid denting it) will relieve any strain or bind on the bolts mounting to the cowl.

My wife is over in Paris right now. If you need help, I can send her your way. JUST Kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be fine removing them while the car is on the ground.  The bolts for the shock tower mount are captured bolts in grooves on the top of the shock tower. They only hold the shock so nothing will come flying off.  The cowl bolts can be a bit tricky if you car has had some body damage or rust.  Sometimes putting a jack under the floor support brace (with a 2x4 to avoid denting it) will relieve any strain or bind on the bolts mounting to the cowl.

My wife is over in Paris right now. If you need help, I can send her your way. JUST Kidding.
Thank you for your answer!

Just to be sure: what you call " cowl bolts" are the three bolts at the top of the shock absorber?

Régis pid='325405' dateline='1532445951']
Just to be sure: what you call " cowl bolts" are the three bolts at the top of the shock absorber?
No the braces have 2 bolts each at the other end that bolt to the cowl of the car

Circled in this picture

[attachment=47634]

No the braces have 2 bolts each at the other end that bolt to the cowl of the car

Circled in this picture
They're 9/16th AF wrenches or for 3/8th NC bolts. Not sure what you have. British 'spanners' are different.

OK SORRY...  :angel:

I understand now.

Thank you!! ::thumb::

As stated above you may have to slightly raise the car behind the front wheels and let the shock towers relax a little. I know mine won't come off without that procedure.

OK luxstang, no problem. I will do that!!

Thank you!

Typically, removing the braces are not the problem; it is installing them. I'd first try simply removing them with the car sitting on its tires. You might be surprised...

I just took mine off of my 73 vert yesterday while on the tires and nothing in a bind. If they are in a bind more than likely your car is bending in the middle due to improper jacking or rust damage making it weak. Never jack the whole front of the car using the front cross member can bend lots of things. If they come off difficult you might want to get your frame checked to see what is up.

Cheers,

Thank you for your answers.

Just one question: can i move the car in the garage without export braces??? ( just a few meters if needed for example).

Yes, you will be fine moving it with them off. I would not recommend driving any distances 1km or more in my opinion. I would also not recommend leaving it parked for an extended period with them off. Things tend to sag over time. Look at my waist line :)

Ok great!!

Thanks!!
BTW, they are not really called Export Braces. They are shock tower braces. The term Export Brace came from the early mustangs that were built for export and they had a one piece brace that went form one shock tower to firewall and to the other shock tower as one continuous piece. Made a stiffer front end. Holman Moody put them on their racing versions of Falcons and Carol Shelby copied on the Shelby Mustang. The Shelby Mustang modifications were actually a copy of what Holman and Moody had done to the Falcon and Ford gave to Shelby.

Just info, lol.

D

Great informations!!

Thank you.

In fact, I remove the" firewall to shock tower braces" to get the engine out of the car.

Back