Removing plastic elbow from valve cover...how?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rubber grommet gets hard from the heat cycles. You can try to break it out and buy new. OR......

Here is a trick I've used on rubber parts that have hardened.

Get a pot of water on the stove with about 3/4 gallon of water or so and bring to a slow boil. Add about 4-5 oz of wintergreen oil. Submerge the rubber and simmer for about 35-40 min. It will be like brand new pliable rubber. Then you should be able to remove the elbow easily and then the grommet and reuse. It is a cool trick and works great.

The rubber grommet gets hard from the heat cycles. You can try to break it out and buy new. OR......

Get a pot of water on the stove with about 3/4 gallon of water or so and bring to a slow boil. Add about 4-5 oz of wintergreen oil. Submerge the rubber and simmer for about 35-40 min. It will be like brand new pliable rubber. Then you should be able to remove the elbow easily and then the grommet and reuse. It is a cool trick and works great.
I have never hear of this trick before. I am going to give it a try.

Thanks for the tip.

PS. Those valve cover grommets are just as hard to get back in too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks , I will give it a try next week !

Back