Removing the drive shaft

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hi folks,

I want to remove the driveshaft on my 73 (C6 with 9"diff). Is it simply a matter of removing the U bolts on the rear yoke and then pulling it out of the C6?

I read something about taping up something to make sure the bearings dont fall out near the rear somewhere?

Cheers,

Vincent.

Mark the driveshaft and yoke for orientation, then remove the u-bolts and slide it out. I will wrap tape around the bearing caps so they don't fall off. If you're replacing the u-joints, you don't need to worry about that.

Make sure to have a drain pan under the tail shaft of the transmission and have the rear axle height elevated as transmission fluid may tend to drip out the tail shaft if level is full.

Replace them, no reason to keep using them even if they are still serviceable. After 50 years they probably do not have much life left, and since you are already there, you might as well change them. They are pretty inexpensive too.

Back