Replacement carb options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cribbs74

Reaction score
For those who have been following my autolite 4100 saga I have decided to go another route. It is really important to me to be able to retain the stock 302 air cleaner. Does anyone know of a new carb that will allow this?

I don’t mind modifying the air cleaner slightly to make it work.

Ron

The stock air cleaner should fit on just about every aftermarket carb you may be looking at. Your choice of intake manifold and any spacers/adapters may make the setup too tall so the air cleaner sits too high. Or depending on what fuel inlet lines, those may interfere with the air cleaner.

My 1969 tbird has the 429 with stock intake manifold, throttle and kickdown linkages and air cleaner with an aftermarket edelbrock carb.

The first carb I tried was the holley 1850 and as you mentioned I would have to clearance the air cleaner to clear the fuel inlet. I imagine there is not a direct fit carb apart from the autolite series.

I was hoping someone out there has installed a new 4bbl carb intake on their 302 and retained their stock air cleaner.

Ron

Back