Replacement Rear power window pancake motors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red73mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertable
So I know this comes up a lot for convertible guys and they'res guys who rebuild them for a fee but I read a post on a Facebook group about a guy who uses rear window motors from a Chevy Cavalier and re drills the mounting holes. Anyone tried or heard of this ? Will try to get more details but at just under $50 for a pair of them its worth a try.

Chet

Both front and back motors are not that hard to fix.

the front ones
Busy rebuilding the 2 front PW motors of my 71 and soon the rear ones.
And as expected as 99% of the time on 71-3, the electric side and motors are just fine.
It's the gears and the cylinders that are either locking the motor or the motor turns but glass doesn't move.

Just 3 screws to remove to uncover the gears and chances are you will get to see the same as on this pict.

pelletsbroken.jpg

The cylinders (bushings pellets) that are supposed to be made of soft plastic, acting as some kind of clutch in case the glass would be blocked during its travel and potentially fail/break if the motor would not stop. They often get hard and explode in tiny bits if they sat unused for a long time, while there is nothing wrong with the motor on itself.

thingies.jpg

You need 3 per motor. Sometimes the broken bits may break the plastic holder. You can buy these as well, but the kits are usually more expensive.

here is what I've ordered
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372646485348
So as the PW motors are expensive and "broken" in 99% of the cases because these these cheap little guys
I'd look first and likely, if you do not see 3 nice cylinders, you'll have an operational motor back for 8 buxx. ;)

Edit: on most Ford, you can just pull the center gear out (the one I hold left on the pict), but in our cars some may have a tiny o-ring on the axle, so you would need if the center gear doesn't come right off, to lift it a tad, gently with a flat screw driver till it "pops" out.

As for the rear flat ones. Pancakes, it's often just a good cleaning/de-rust story or a set of brushes

Last edited:
Back