Replacing Dash Pad

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
I'v been thinking about changing the dash pad on the 73. Not a cover, but a new pad.

While the 73 is no trailer queen, I like to keep her looking good.

So my real question is which dash pad. I've seen original tooling for @$285 or repro for @$115.

Which way would be the best way for looks and fit?

I went with the original tooling. Fits perfect. Looks correct. Remember, you get what you pay for. :)

Definitely, without a question, get original Ford tooling. I swapped out my dash pad last year and all the research I did came back with only the Ford Tooling dashpads fit properly.

Removal and install complete in well under an hour. You can paint the dash pads (I painted my 70) with the vinyl paint and it looks flawless.

i just did my dash pad . wish i got the original tooling one the repo is just ok .
What are the problems you see with the repo?
the fit was off .where it meets the the top of the dash .it dose not lay flat. but its close.had to drill a few holes. the under side is very rough. you dont see it from the out side .i do see it when im sitting in the car. all in all if your on a budget its ok . just not the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you only about the OEM Tooling one, when I took the original dash of to swap It out, it was identical, the only difference was the factory stampings (QC and date of manufacturing stamp), the color and materials grain were identical.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just did my dash pad . wish i got the original tooling one the repo is just ok .
What are the problems you see with the repo?
the fit was off .where it meets the the top of the dash .it dose not lay flat. but its close.had to drill a few holes. the under side is very rough. you dont see it from the out side .i do see it when im sitting in the car. all in all if your on a budget its ok . just not the best.

Guess that helps me to decide to go with original tooling when I'm ready.

Thanks

Back