Replacing my power steering box.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I need to replace the power steering box on my '73 Mach-1. I've never done it before. Is it pretty straigjt forward or a PITA? I have a 4v Cleveland, C6 with Super Comp headers. Thank you..

Mike

cazsper,

+ one with 73mach1. Absolutely need a puller. I cannot remember if you can remove the Pittman arm first before unbolting it. Those Saginaw boxes are not light weights. What type of steering box dodo you have? Are you going to get it rebuilt? maybe get it converted to the 12.7:1 ratio. I did this with my competition box. Let us know what direction you head in.

Here is who I used. http://www.powersteering.com/

Als0, here is the thread that I posted the rebuilt box and new Power steering pump on.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-new-steering-box?pid=229196&highlight=saginaw#pid229196

mustang7173 :run_horse::run_horse::run_horse::run_horse:

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove pitman arm first. I used a 3/4" impact wrench with a 1 3/8" socket to remove bolt. Then use puller to remove from box. If you need to remove the other end from drag link, use a pickle fork to get loose. If your pitman arm is in good condition, then you won't have to remove this end. Hope this helps, good luck! :)

We tried to remove my pitman arm and the puller broke.

Solution was to buy another pitman arm and install it on

the rebuilt gear box. I was not there to see the action but

my mechanics thumb was caught in the crossfire. Ouch!

mike

Thanks for all the info everyone. This seems like a bit more work than I was expecting.. :(

I just changed the input shaft seals in mine. I did everything from underneath the car. I run a stock manifold so your clearances are probably tighter with headers.

1) leave the steering unlocked

2) support the car (safetly of course)

3) remove the bolt connecting the rag joint to the steering gear

4) either remove the pitman from the steering gear with a puller or disconnect the pitman from the steering linkage.

5) have a pan ready to catch fluid

6) use a flare nut wrench to remove the high pressure line (11/16) and the return line (5/8) from the steering gear

7) remove the 3 bolts going through the frame (3/4) making sure to support the steering gear. It is heavy, especially if you are on your back.

8) slide forward to disconnect from coupler and you should have it.

Good luck!:wrench:

It took me 2 days to pull the 42 year old pitman arm on my car, major PITA. You might try pb blasting everything down for a few days before you get started to ease the process.

Back