Replacing the top, have the glass

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]
It will be awhile before I get to this -- after the major mechanical issues are resolved -- but that gives plenty of time to plan ahead.

The current (and I believe original) top on the car is shreds; nothing to save.  However, it came with the glass rear window which I have and is in good shape.  I'd like to reuse it, although it's just a loose piece of glass now.  No vinyl surround and of course, no zipper.

Most of the replacements I've seen show the choice of glass, plastic or none.  Has anyone ever asked for the top with glass replacement, but keep the glass?  I've not seen just the vinyl surround for the glass only anywhere.  Yet.

The glass is bonded to the rear curtain, not something you do in your garage. 71-73 all came with the glass rear window, so I'd stay with that.

The glass is bonded to the rear curtain, not something you do in your garage. 71-73 all came with the glass rear window, so I'd stay with that.
Oh yes, I plan to keep the glass. But I’m trying to wrap my mind around ordering a top with glass, but I have the glass. 

“Use my glass” is likely an expensive option, but this is making me think to outsource it all.

Is "Your" glass clear or tinted?
I’ll have to clean it up and check. The car was ordered with tinted windows, so I expect it will be — if original.

Contact some of the top manufacturers and see if they will bond your window in the back curtain. That is the first piece you install when doing the top cannot be added or changed without pulling top off the frame.

Kee tops in Charlotte is close to me I plan on using them when I do my next one.

I think there is a mfg. in Calif. name evades me.

I laugh when I see ads that say Glass rear window and power top. Like stated all 71 - 73 were glass and all were power top.

I have a 65 with manual top but picked up a power frame with all parts at swap meet for $90.

Contact some of the top manufacturers and see if they will bond your window in the back curtain. That is the first piece you install when doing the top cannot be added or changed without pulling top off the frame.

Kee tops in Charlotte is close to me I plan on using them when I do my next one.

I think there is a mfg. in Calif. name evades me.

I laugh when I see ads that say Glass rear window and power top. Like stated all 71 - 73 were glass and all were power top.

I have a 65 with manual top but picked up a power frame with all parts at swap meet for $90.
Good tips!  If you think of the CA manufacturer, let me know.

Latest posts

Back