reproduction trunk lid quality

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a fastback repop trunklid I scored from OMS. Fits like a champ - no issues (except that my painter didn't line it back up very well when he put it back together - I'm still working on that).

taillights1.jpg

attachment.php

Hope this helps.

It's something like 1/16" too high on the driver side. Which pisses me off because I had the dang thing perfect before I took it to the painter - and he painted inside the trunk (hood, end caps, mirrors, etc.) off the car.

I already have gotten it 'centered,' with the gaps correct on both sides... but it just won't lay back down on the driver side.

Oh no - I wasn't trying to say anything was wrong with the trunk lid - it's great! ::thumb::

If I put a shim in there on top of the hinge, I'm thinking it'll just put the hinge that much further down and not really affect how it sits on the trunk opening. But, I guess I'll find out when I play with it some more. We'll see. ;)

I have a fastback repop trunklid I scored from OMS. Fits like a champ - no issues (except that my painter didn't line it back up very well when he put it back together - I'm still working on that).

attachment.php

Hope this helps.
Did your body guy have to build it up? Did the back side look original?

Do you have a pic of that? I needed to skim coat some parts of mine and an worried about the stress at the spoiler. Might be a non-issue but I don't want to have to paint it again if it stress cracks.

As far as I know, he didn't do anything but scuff & prime. It showed up perfect out of the box - I'd actually put it on the car and checked everything before taking it to him.

Here's the only current pic I was with the trunk open. It's a full trunk lid, and looks pretty 'factory' to me.

attachment.php

Hope that helps.

* Edit: looking at some of the other pics of the rear end, I might be able to adjust the quarter end cap just a tiny bit to get it right. Thanks for makin' me look again, Jeff. ::thumb::

As far as I know, he didn't do anything but scuff & prime. It showed up perfect out of the box - I'd actually put it on the car and checked everything before taking it to him.

Here's the only current pic I was with the trunk open. It's a full trunk lid, and looks pretty 'factory' to me.

attachment.php

Hope that helps.

* Edit: looking at some of the other pics of the rear end, I might be able to adjust the quarter end cap just a tiny bit to get it right. Thanks for makin' me look again, Jeff. ::thumb::
Great,

Thanks for all your input.

At the factory when they assembled them they would put a block under the right side and push the lid down and twist it to align it. It was amazing to watch them align fenders, doors and trunks with big rubber hammers blocks of wood and a big bar that the lifted the doors with to bend the hinge into position.

Ford did try to do what they called a "No Adjust Build". That never worked every car has adjustments made during assembly.

David

I also have a repro trunk lid. The only thing I noticed was it wasn't quite the same gauge metal. It is a little thinner. The fit is good.

Back