Resource For Under Hood Paint/No Paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
I would like to know if anyone has a good resource for determining what gets painted or not painted under the hood of our 73 Mustangs, and what color:

Cast iron manifold

Aluminum manifold

Valve cover bolts

Oil Pan Bolts

Water pump

Water pump bolts

etc.

Grazie!

Here is the Mustang Club of America Rulebook for the Engine Compartment they use for judging:

1971 - 1973 MUSTANG CONCOURS TRAILERED / DRIVEN

4. ENGINE COMPARTMENT Points

A. Battery Carrier: With appropriate attaching parts. Heat shield on big block cars. Must have “L” bracket. If hole is present, bracket required ................................................................................ 2

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 1

B. Battery: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Group 22, 24 or 27 acceptable ....................................................................................................................................... 6

Driven Exception:

Autolite or early Motorcraft with screw in caps ............................................................ no deduction

Motorcraft replacement without screw in caps .................................. mandatory 3 point deduction

All other brands ................................................................................. mandatory 6 point deduction

Autolite battery cover ........................................................................ mandatory 6 point deduction

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 1

C. Starter Solenoid: 71 - black Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Correct, type with Ford part number. Mounted in original location ................................................................. 2

D. Battery Cables and Starter Cable: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Routed in original position.

Positive Cable: Red with correct Ford stamped numbers.

Starter and Ground Cable: Black. Original mounting bracket. Cables printed as original. No paper sleeves.

........................................................................................................................................................ 3

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 2

All content of this document is the property of the Mustang Club of America, Inc. It is intended for the private use of MCA members and may not be

used or sold in any format by others. Attempts to sell, alter, or damage this document without written permission of the MCA will be identified and

prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

V05.03042011 5

E. Alternator and Starter: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft.

Alternator: Natural cast aluminum finish.

Alternator Fan, Pulley, Lock Washer and Nut: Zinc dichromate finish.

Alternator Spacer: Bare aluminum finish.

Starter: Semi-gloss black.

........................................................................................................................................................ 2

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 2

F. Air Cleaner and Attaching Parts: Proper type for model, painted correct Ford Corporate blue with proper air cleaner decal. No Ram-Air units on 72-73 351 4V equipped cars without proper documentation. Ram-Air unit must be proper for year and model of car ............................... 4

G. Engine Components to be Painted:

Ford Corporate Blue Components: Engine block, head/heads, intake manifold, carburetor plate (may be natural), valve covers and oil dipstick handle, thermostat housing, bypass hose and clamps (may be painted or natural), water pump assembly, timing cover, oil pan, oil dipstick tube.

Semi-Gloss Black Components: Fan, fan pulley, crankshaft pulley, alternator bracket and adjustment arm.

Semi-Gloss Black or Natural Components: Engine mount brackets, harmonic balancer.

........................................................................................................................................................ 6

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 6

H. Engine Components to be Natural: Bell housing (may have blue overspray), accelerator linkage, distributor hold-down bracket and automatic transmission dipstick handle.

Valve Covers: 429 bare aluminum.

........................................................................................................................................................ 5

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 5

I. Carburetor and Intake Manifold: Proper type for year and engine ........................................ 5

J. Distributor and Cap:

Distributor: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Proper design and natural aluminum finish. Correct for year and model. Must have vacuum advance.

Cap: 71 - black with raised AUTOLITE letters. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft.

........................................................................................................................................................ 3

Driven Exception:

Petronix points replacement module or equivalent acceptable ................................... no deduction

K. Coil: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Yellow ceramic top. Mounted in correct location. Mounting bracket finish can be semi-gloss black or phosphate and oil .................. 2

L. Spark Plugs and Wires: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Black or orange boots. Properly routed with correct attaching brackets.

Spark Plugs: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Correct style and type for engine and year.

Driven Exception:

Motorcraft spark plugs ................................................................................................. no deduction

M. Exhaust Manifolds: Natural cast iron appearance (paint acceptable). May show engine color overspray. Washer (ramp-lock) style locks. No manifold gaskets ............................................ 3

N. Fuel Lines and Attaching Parts:

Rigid Lines: Original configuration and finish in original location with proper attaching parts.

Flex Lines: Black with original factory markings.

Clamps: Spring style.

........................................................................................................................................................ 2

Driven Exception:

Stainless steel brake lines ........................................................................................... no deduction

O. Fuel Pump: 71-73 V-8 Carter. 6 cylinder Carter, AC or Autolite. Original design. Natural cast aluminum and zinc dichromate finish ................................................................................................ 3

P. Oil Filter: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Engine block color or white with Autolite/ Motorcraft design. Block color filters must have correct ribbed end and logo .... 2

Q. Air Conditioning and Attaching Parts:

Semi-Gloss Black Components: Brackets, York and Tecumseh A/C compressors, condenser, and dryer. A/C brackets may have machined surfaces.

Natural Components: Fan clutch.

R. Power Steering:

Semi-Gloss Black Components: Pump pulley. Pump. Front of pump matches canister. Mounting bracket.

Natural Components: Aluminum spacer and aluminum mounting bracket.

S. Emission System: 71-73 - proper PCV valve. 72 California cars and 73 all, EGR valve. All cars must have proper size charcoal canister mounted in the proper location ................................. 6

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 3

T. Fender and Inner Fender Bolts: Original color and style with disc washers. Zinc dichromate and cadmium finish ........................................................................................................................... 3

U. Horns: Semi-gloss black. Original design. Mounted in original location with proper mounting bracket. Must be marked HI and LO ................................................................................................. 2

V. Windshield Washer Assembly, Windshield Reservoir Assembly, Mounting Brackets, Hoses and Pump: Original type and finish Mounted in original location. Plastic container must have D1TF-BA or D1TF-CA .............................................................................................................. 2

W. Firewall and Inner Fender Panels: Painted semi-gloss black. Shock tower braces, correct slop gray color. Shock tower caps, natural steel or phosphate and oil finish .................................... 3

X. Sound Deadener (Sealant): At proper places on firewall including any areas where components come through the firewall, such as wiring and heater motor. No sound deadener with documentation ................................................................................................................................. 2

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness of items W through X ....................................................... 4

Y. Underside of Hood: Same color as exterior ............................................................................ 2

Z. Hood Release, Latch and Latch Support:

Release and Latch: Original style. Natural steel or phosphate and oil finish.

Latch Support: Painted correct slop gray color.

AA. Hood Hinges and Springs: Original style. Phosphate and oil finish. NASA (Ram-Air) hoods must have the proper flat wire springs .............................................................................................. 2

BB. Decals: 71 only - Service Specification decal. Battery Test decal. Cubic inch air cleaner decal. Emission Service decal. Caution Fan decal ........................................................................... 3

CC. Voltage Regulator: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. All riveted cover and non-electronic. ........................................................................................................................... 2

DD. Wiring: Proper gauge and color code, mounted in original location with proper attaching clips. Black plastic wrapping as original ............................................................................................ 3

EE. Master Cylinder, Power Brake Unit and Rigid Brake Lines:

Master Cylinder: Semi-gloss black or cast iron finish.

Cap: Semi-gloss black or cadmium finish. Cap must have correct logo, USE ONLY ESA-M6C25 BRAKE FLUID CAUTION. No DOT 3 marked caps.

Power Brake Booster: Semi-gloss black finish.

Rigid Brake Lines: Natural steel finish.

Driven Exception:

Stainless steel brake lines ........................................................................................... no deduction

FF. Radiator, Hoses and Clamps:

Radiator: Ford type with FoMoCo logo. Painted semi-gloss black with proper core thickness and black rubber overflow tube. All cars must have proper fans and fan shrouds.

Hoses: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Molded rubber hose of original size and configuration.

Clamps: Wire style with wire staples.

........................................................................................................................................................ 6

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 4

GG. Radiator Cap: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Pressure release cap allowed ............................................................................................................................................ 1

HH. Heater Hoses and Clamps:

Hoses: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Black ribbed style with or yellow stripe.

Clamps: Pedestal type only.

II. Belts: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Ink-stamped, embossed or debossed ......................................................................................................................................... 3

JJ. Aluminum Engine ID Tag: Visible on intake manifold or mounted under the coil bracket. Cars built after 2/1/73 use paper decal on right side cover ............................................................... 1

KK. Point Deductions for items not proper or original and not previously deducted ...............

Last edited by a moderator:
Those rules are for the Concurs Restored Trailer Queens.

MCA also has some relaxed rules for other classes such as occasional driven, and daily drivers. One class they don't even open the hood.

The rules I posted just give you an idea of how the engine compartment looked originally if your trying to get close.

In my 1971 351 4V HO build, I am not only documenting parts, but figure it would be simple to add the colors of items as well.

For the most part, I believe the factory look is superior to what most people do. But, to each his own. I just don't want to start painting things I don't have to, and then finish the job and wonder why my engine bay doesn't appear very nice. However, I don't intend to go too overboard like some guys do with trying to match the color and appearance of the black engine bay.

Thanks for the list!!!

That right there is why I could not restore a car... too many rules!
W3rd! I'd rather have a streetable vehicle I can enjoy (i.e. drive) rather than an collectable that will never offer a return equal to the investment. Cars are meant to be driven... not stored in a museum or rolled through the auction block every few years.

Having said that, if you're into the whole concours scene, well, then... anything that keeps 'em out of the crusher is OK by me. (There's good in everything...)

That right there is why I could not restore a car... too many rules!
W3rd! I'd rather have a streetable vehicle I can enjoy (i.e. drive) rather than an collectable that will never offer a return equal to the investment. Cars are meant to be driven... not stored in a museum or rolled through the auction block every few years.

Having said that, if you're into the whole concours scene, well, then... anything that keeps 'em out of the crusher is OK by me. (There's good in everything...)
:amen:

That is what I appreciate about this group. We find a way to come back to the same thing, enjoying our cars. Some may want a more personalized version that they drive and enjoy and others may want a more factory appearing version that they drive and enjoy. Either way, we are making them what we want.

As my signature line indicates, I lean more towards the factory original and appreciate the knowledge and experience of others who have documented the originality of these cars coming from the factory and I plan to get as close as possible to that.

I will still drive the car on a regular basis because I agree they are meant to be enjoyed and shared with others.

Please just keep in mind that each of us has a common passion for our 71-73 mustangs and choose to personalize them to our own degree of detail.

That is what I appreciate about this group. We find a way to come back to the same thing, enjoying our cars. Some may want a more personalized version that they drive and enjoy and others may want a more factory appearing version that they drive and enjoy. Either way, we are making them what we want.

As my signature line indicates, I lean more toward the factory original and appreciate the knowledge and experience of others who have documented the originality of these cars coming from the factory and I plan to get as close as possible to that.

I will still drive the car on a regular basis because I agree they are meant to be enjoyed and shared with others.

Please just keep in mind that each of us has a common passion for our 71-73 mustangs and choose to personalize them to our own degree of detail.
Well said!

For me, my 73 Convertible is all about nostalgia. I prefer it to look and run the same as it did back in 1974 when I bought it even if it is a 6 cylinder. So I am trying to keep it as stock as possible. I do not plan on making it a concurs trailer queen, but I like to know that's how it looked inside and out when Ford made them. That way when I take it out for a drive it reminds me of the good OLE days!

I have been tempted to customize or upgrade the engine over the years, but I keep coming back to the thought of keeping it original. Fortunately I'm lucky to have my 2004 Mach 1 when I feel the need for speed or the handling and comfort of a modern car.

I'm all for those folks who want to customize or restomod their old Mustangs. I enjoy seeing the creativity and great looking touches others have done to their classic Mustangs.

As my signature line indicates, I lean more toward the factory original and appreciate the knowledge and experience of others who have documented the originality of these cars coming from the factory and I plan to get as close as possible to that.

Well said!

For me, my 73 Convertible is all about nostalgia. I prefer it to look and run the same as it did back in 1974 when I bought it even if it is a 6 cylinder. So I am trying to keep it as stock as possible. I do not plan on making it a concurs trailer queen, but I like to know that's how it looked inside and out when Ford made them. That way when I take it out for a drive it reminds me of the good OLE days!

I have been tempted to customize or upgrade the engine over the years, but I keep coming back to the thought of keeping it original. Fortunately I'm lucky to have my 2004 Mach 1 when I feel the need for speed or the handling and comfort of a modern car.

I'm all for those folks who want to customize or restomod their old Mustangs. I enjoy seeing the creativity and great looking touches others have done to their classic Mustangs.
I agree with both but some do not have the luxury(maybe a bad word) of having one even close enough to a starting point to ever be concourse correct, as with mine it was just a rolling shell (basket case)when I bought it so this was never a viable option. If I had bought it new maybe, probably not but maybe I would go that route. I like both, stock and modified.

I have never had a problem throwing the keys to someone and sysing "try it out" I do however, as they reach for the handle say "Treat it like it's yours. respect it like it's mine."

I don't think any of us feels it's cheap. It always depended on the extra available to do what we enjoy. Hell when I got started I was doing $5 tune up or brake changes to support my motor/car addiction. Felt better if it wasn't coming out of family regular job budget and sure was treated that way!

[quote=OLE PONY;6775

Here is the Mustang Club of America Rulebook for the Engine Compartment they use for judging:

1971 - 1973 MUSTANG CONCOURS TRAILERED / DRIVEN

4. ENGINE COMPARTMENT Points

A. Battery Carrier: With appropriate attaching parts. Heat shield on big block cars. Must have “L” bracket. If hole is present, bracket required ................................................................................ 2

B. Battery: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Group 22, 24 or 27 acceptable ....................................................................................................................................... 6

Driven Exception:

Autolite or early Motorcraft with screw in caps ............................................................ no deduction

Motorcraft replacement without screw in caps .................................. mandatory 3 point deduction

All other brands ................................................................................. mandatory 6 point deduction

Autolite battery cover ........................................................................ mandatory 6 point deduction

C. Starter Solenoid: 71 - black Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Correct, type with Ford part number. Mounted in original location ................................................................. 2

D. Battery Cables and Starter Cable: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Routed in original position.

Positive Cable: Red with correct Ford stamped numbers.

Starter and Ground Cable: Black. Original mounting bracket. Cables printed as original. No paper sleeves.

All content of this document is the property of the Mustang Club of America, Inc. It is intended for the private use of MCA members and may not be

used or sold in any format by others. Attempts to sell, alter, or damage this document without written permission of the MCA will be identified and

prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

V05.03042011 5

E. Alternator and Starter: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft.

Alternator: Natural cast aluminum finish.

Alternator Fan, Pulley, Lock Washer and Nut: Zinc dichromate finish.

Alternator Spacer: Bare aluminum finish.

Starter: Semi-gloss black.

F. Air Cleaner and Attaching Parts: Proper type for model, painted correct Ford Corporate blue with proper air cleaner decal. No Ram-Air units on 72-73 351 4V equipped cars without proper documentation. Ram-Air unit must be proper for year and model of car ............................... 4

G. Engine Components to be Painted:

Ford Corporate Blue Components: Engine block, head/heads, intake manifold, carburetor plate (may be natural), valve covers and oil dipstick handle, thermostat housing, bypass hose and clamps (may be painted or natural), water pump assembly, timing cover, oil pan, oil dipstick tube.

Semi-Gloss Black Components: Fan, fan pulley, crankshaft pulley, alternator bracket and adjustment arm.

Semi-Gloss Black or Natural Components: Engine mount brackets, harmonic balancer.

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 6

H. Engine Components to be Natural: Bell housing (may have blue overspray), accelerator linkage, distributor hold-down bracket and automatic transmission dipstick handle.

Valve Covers: 429 bare aluminum.

........................................................................................................................................................ 5

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 5

I. Carburetor and Intake Manifold: Proper type for year and engine ........................................ 5

J. Distributor and Cap:

Distributor: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Proper design and natural aluminum finish. Correct for year and model. Must have vacuum advance.

Cap: 71 - black with raised AUTOLITE letters. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft.

Driven Exception:

Petronix points replacement module or equivalent acceptable ................................... no deduction

K. Coil: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Yellow ceramic top. Mounted in correct location. Mounting bracket finish can be semi-gloss black or phosphate and oil .................. 2

L. Spark Plugs and Wires: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Black or orange boots. Properly routed with correct attaching brackets.

Spark Plugs: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Correct style and type for engine and year.

Driven Exception:

Motorcraft spark plugs ................................................................................................. no deduction

M. Exhaust Manifolds: Natural cast iron appearance (paint acceptable). May show engine color overspray. Washer (ramp-lock) style locks. No manifold gaskets ............................................ 3

N. Fuel Lines and Attaching Parts:

Rigid Lines: Original configuration and finish in original location with proper attaching parts.

Flex Lines: Black with original factory markings.

Clamps: Spring style.

Driven Exception:

O. Fuel Pump: 71-73 V-8 Carter. 6 cylinder Carter, AC or Autolite. Original design. Natural cast aluminum and zinc dichromate finish ................................................................................................ 3

P. Oil Filter: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Engine block color or white with Autolite/ Motorcraft design. Block color filters must have correct ribbed end and logo .... 2

Q. Air Conditioning and Attaching Parts:

Semi-Gloss Black Components: Brackets, York and Tecumseh A/C compressors, condenser, and dryer. A/C brackets may have machined surfaces.

Natural Components: Fan clutch.

R. Power Steering:

Semi-Gloss Black Components: Pump pulley. Pump. Front of pump matches canister. Mounting bracket.

Natural Components: Aluminum spacer and aluminum mounting bracket.

S. Emission System: 71-73 - proper PCV valve. 72 California cars and 73 all, EGR valve. All cars must have proper size charcoal canister mounted in the proper location ................................. 6

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 3

T. Fender and Inner Fender Bolts: Original color and style with disc washers. Zinc dichromate and cadmium finish ........................................................................................................................... 3

U. Horns: Semi-gloss black. Original design. Mounted in original location with proper mounting bracket. Must be marked HI and LO ................................................................................................. 2

V. Windshield Washer Assembly, Windshield Reservoir Assembly, Mounting Brackets, Hoses and Pump: Original type and finish Mounted in original location. Plastic container must have D1TF-BA or D1TF-CA .............................................................................................................. 2

W. Firewall and Inner Fender Panels: Painted semi-gloss black. Shock tower braces, correct slop gray color. Shock tower caps, natural steel or phosphate and oil finish .................................... 3

X. Sound Deadener (Sealant): At proper places on firewall including any areas where components come through the firewall, such as wiring and heater motor. No sound deadener with documentation ................................................................................................................................. 2

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness of items W through X ....................................................... 4

Y. Underside of Hood: Same color as exterior ............................................................................ 2

Z. Hood Release, Latch and Latch Support:

Release and Latch: Original style. Natural steel or phosphate and oil finish.

Latch Support: Painted correct slop gray color.

AA. Hood Hinges and Springs: Original style. Phosphate and oil finish. NASA (Ram-Air) hoods must have the proper flat wire springs .............................................................................................. 2

BB. Decals: 71 only - Service Specification decal. Battery Test decal. Cubic inch air cleaner decal. Emission Service decal. Caution Fan decal ........................................................................... 3

CC. Voltage Regulator: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. All riveted cover and non-electronic. ........................................................................................................................... 2

DD. Wiring: Proper gauge and color code, mounted in original location with proper attaching clips. Black plastic wrapping as original ............................................................................................ 3

EE. Master Cylinder, Power Brake Unit and Rigid Brake Lines:

Master Cylinder: Semi-gloss black or cast iron finish.

Cap: Semi-gloss black or cadmium finish. Cap must have correct logo, USE ONLY ESA-M6C25 BRAKE FLUID CAUTION. No DOT 3 marked caps.

Power Brake Booster: Semi-gloss black finish.

Rigid Brake Lines: Natural steel finish.

Driven Exception:

FF. Radiator, Hoses and Clamps:

Radiator: Ford type with FoMoCo logo. Painted semi-gloss black with proper core thickness and black rubber overflow tube. All cars must have proper fans and fan shrouds.

Hoses: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Molded rubber hose of original size and configuration.

Clamps: Wire style with wire staples.

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness .......................................................................................... 4

GG. Radiator Cap: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Pressure release cap allowed ............................................................................................................................................ 1

HH. Heater Hoses and Clamps:

Hoses: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Black ribbed style with or yellow stripe.

Clamps: Pedestal type only.

II. Belts: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Ink-stamped, embossed or debossed ......................................................................................................................................... 3

JJ. Aluminum Engine ID Tag: Visible on intake manifold or mounted under the coil bracket. Cars built after 2/1/73 use paper decal on right side cover ............................................................... 1

KK. Point Deductions for items not proper or original and not previously deducted ...............

Some people like that kind of MISERY!:D

Back