Retrosound stereos?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sequel88

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Coupe
-250ci Inline six
-Modded Log Head
-Autolite 2bbl Carb
-Pertronix Ignition
-Super Stock 7mm Plug Wires
-Dual 14" Magnaflow Glass packs
*Currently awaiting a T5 swap!
I had my original radio converted. I would go that route

I had a the Custom Autosound in my car and it didn't last very long. The lights went out on it and the sound wasn't that great. I re-placed it with a Retrosound unit & it's much better in my opinion. Its louder, has a better sound and I just like it better. I did get the unit with the Bluetooth feature though, so its a different one than the one your looking at. Anyway, I am very pleased with it.

I have a Retrosound Model 2, along with some Retrosound 6x9s in the rear deck, and some Retrosound 4x6s in the doors.  The system sounds great, but need a sub (or 2) to really fill the sound in for an absolute full range experience (to that end, I have a pair of MTX 10" Terminator subs I still need to build a box for and install).

As far as the Model 2 itself - I love it.  I don't know much about the Laguna model you asked about, but the Model 2 checks off all the boxes for me.  I wanted multiple and modern media inputs (USB, iPod, Bluetooth, CD changers, etc.) and an output system that would support 4-channels [internally amplified] + separate sub-woofers line-level outputs.  I did not want to load the trunk up with amplifiers to support all of the channels, like I did with my Jeep.  For most applications, head-unit provided amplification works just fine for standard multi-range speaker output, and adding a sub w/amp fills it all in without going into overkill - you can only listen to music so loud for so long, after all.  I like it a little louder than most, but not so much that the car in the next lane would complain if we both had our windows up.

The Bluetooth runs great.  I use it for hands-free cell phone operation, since I don't have a smart phone to stream audio.  When the phone activates (incoming or outgoing calls), the music mutes, and returns once the call is done... just like it's supposed to.

The kit came with absolutely everything needed to install the stereo, and has lots of lead on the included cabling (USB/stereo input jack, and hands-free microphone).

The volume and tuning controls are mounted in their own pods to the main unit with adjustable bracketry to ensure proper fit to whatever car you put it in.

My only complaints:

• no remote (the stereo controls are a LONG way away from the driver with the seat rolled as far back as it can go)
  • the vintage-look decal distorts the LED display (the USA Custom Autosound "slide-lock" units are better for that aspect) - without the decal, the stereo looks aftermarket... with the decal, it looks vintage

Hope this helps!

Anyone have any experience with these Retrosound stereos? I'm seeing mixed reviews online, but I do like the price point and the fact that it looks to have the correct knobs. Any insight would be great! Thanks!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/p3089678/sku-8627752.jcwx?filterid=d633y1971g2j1
just installed a Retro sound Long Island deck with a total Alpine system...2- 6x9s rear 2- 6.5"rounds in door (needed to do some work on interior door panels to work) rear external amp and 10" sub in trunk...Works awesome and really cranks out...Bluetooth, external feeds and deck works great...a good choice

Back