Rev Limiter mounting screws

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351-4v
1971 Boss 351
My Boss was missing the rev limiter. Just picked one up, and was wondering what the screw size is for mounting one to the fire wall, and where to buy them. If they were used on another part, I just may have them. Thanks in advance for the help!

Harv

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck, those screws offered by CJ's look better and are the ones I would probably use. The original Ford production screws are 55914-S2 with "S2" meaning the finish is Phosphate and lubricant.

WARNING! The following is really down in the weeds subject to be discussing but, it has piqued my curiosity.

Steve, I have an electrical drawing dated 09/24/71 (E2Z-126-1), that supersedes a drawing dated 03/03/71, for "Governor Assy. 302 CID Boss engine (RPO) Manual Trans. Only", that shows the screws being 55914-S36. With S-36 being Zinc plate and Dichromate.

Two things; I think it is unusual that Ford still had an electrical drawing for a Boss 302 as late as the end of September 1971, and that two resources show two different coatings for such a common piece. Perhaps the spec or the supplier changed during this time.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks, Chuck

WARNING! The following is really down in the weeds subject to be discussing but, it has piqued my curiosity.

Steve, I have an electrical drawing dated 09/24/71 (E2Z-126-1), that supersedes a drawing dated 03/03/71, for "Governor Assy. 302 CID Boss engine (RPO) Manual Trans. Only", that shows the screws being 55914-S36. With S-36 being Zinc plate and Dichromate.

Two things; I think it is unusual that Ford still had an electrical drawing for a Boss 302 as late as the end of September 1971, and that two resources show two different coatings for such a common piece. Perhaps the spec or the supplier changed during this time.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks, Chuck
The 71 Boss 302, the Mustang that just won't go away! (LOL) Never understood why Ford continued to catalog parts for a car they never production built. Catalog revisions were constant with numbers and text always changing. But the 71 Boss 302 info continued to stay in in the catalog right up to the last revision.

What I try to keep in mind is that Ford was in the business of mass producing vehicles and supplying service/repair parts. Not show or collectible cars. Just imagine the sheer volume of nuts, bolts, screws, hardware, etc that was used just in one day at all of Ford's combined assembly plants. And as David (Carolina_Mountain_Mustang) will verify, Ford was constantly revising or substituting hardware to meet production schudules. If company A had a problem with supplying a certain part, company B was sourced. The assembly line shut down for nothing!

The original hardware may of well been S36. When the 65-72 catalog had it's final revision/printing in May 1975, the service part listed was the S2. The S36 version is not listed in the latest version of Ford's standard and utility parts catalog. I have an original Micro Fische card from June 1971, but my reader has finally given up. I'm working on a replacement, but ones capable of reading the Ford cards are hard to find. That way I'll have the ability to check a catalog source from a time when these cars were still being built against the final May 75 version. I would say either would be correct, and that I still like the look of the ones you posted from CJ's!

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my quirky questions. The 1971 Boss 302 discussion has brought a crazy thought to mind. Build a 1971 Boss 302 clone, with the Mag Star wheels, but have a 427 CID Clevor under the hood. You could convince most people it was a Boss 302. I convinced several Chevy guys, as well as Ford guys that the 405 CID Clevor in my Eliminator was a Boss 302 stroked to 318 CID. They even went to my machine shop wanting him to build them some Boss 318s.:p Chuck

Thanks for allowing me to discuss (in a civil manner) something as simple as a screw finish. I've visited/been on some "Other" forums where nothing was done in a civil manner and where my 85 GT was accepted but received some nasty comments on my 71's. Last time I looked at my fleet of Horses they were all built by Ford and were still considered Mustang's.

One of our shop tech's that drag raced actually built a Clevor with a Motorsport Windsor block. #@*&%$, I though my 429 pulled like a freight train! He had a lot of people convinced (especially the Chevy folks) that it was a stroked Boss 302. I ordered the block for him so I knew what it was, but a lot of people found out way too late that they were way over their heads running his "302"!

Had a chance to score a set a Mag Stars, but let the opportunity slip by. Friend of mine was the owner of the local Lincoln/Mercury dealer and had a 70 429 Mercury Marauder X100 with Mag Stars wheels. He was going to use a different set of wheels since he didn't like the Mag Stars, and had offered them to me for free. Only other set I had ever seen was on a 67 GT500 Shelby on the local AF base. Figured no one else would like them, so I didn't need em' either!! What's the name of that song I keep playing? "If I only knew then what I know now".

My apologies to 1Mach1 for jumping the tracks on his simple request for a screw size. Bet he never though he would find out so much! :whistling:

I bet they really looked good on your 72. The ones on the Marauder had light grey pockets where the Ford version had black. Occasionally you'll see some early promo shots from Ford that showed the yellow 71 Boss with Mag Stars. Chuck's comment on the those rims made me think of the free set I turned down. Grrrr.

Back