Reverse backup lights stay on with key removed?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
I checked to make sure my garage door was closed and noticed my backup lights were on. I drove it to work today. It just started doing this. It has to be in reverse to remove key (lockout rod works properly). This is on my GT-351 4sp. I pumped brakes and turned key etc but they remained on. I took it out of gear and the lights went out. Is this the neutral safety switch going out? Any help appreciated!

Unless the Mexican cars are wired differently, the reverse light circuit is only key-on hot. The PO may have hotwired the lights to a constant hot? The connector *should* be hanging at the center of the firewall. behind the engine. 

It wasn't doing this before as far as I know. I haven't done anything to this car in a few months. I can't swear it wasn't doing this since I would not have looked for it but I sorta look at the back of the car pretty much everyday. The wiring seems to follow US cars (but the harness wrap is grey as opposed to black). I will have to dig into it I guess. Other gremlin is the horn stopped working. I also had to undo an ignition cutout (kill switch) but that also was months ago. Thx for reaponding

Back