Revisiting installing a Hayden 2710 fan clutch and Derale 17118 fan.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problems with the extra weight for me, so far anyway. Actually I never really thought about it.
 Good to know John. That's just how my mind works, always thinking about possible problems. 

I forgot to mention that the water pump on the engine was replaced in 2016, so quite new, therefore not expecting any issue with it.

Ford did make a HD water pump for the 351 C has roller bearing instead of ball. Hard to find for sure. The NASCAR guys used them. Might have been part of Boss not sure.
Thanks David, I'll look into that as an option. Failing that, pick up a spare w/pump! However, I'm pretty sure a relatively new pump will last a while yet.

Installed mine in 2003, no issues with fan or water pump. 
 Thanks Hemikiller, Sounds like all will be okay for good while. 

Q, did you need to add a spacer to get the fan located in the shroud correctly? Some have said to add a 1/2" spacer.

Thanks to all for the help on this.

Not with the 302. The 351C is going in within a month or so, so we'll see where it ends up as I'm moving to the larger 26" radiator and shroud. 
 Thanks Hemi. I found the original spacer I have, but I don't think I can cut it down the way it's made unless I install a long 5/8"sleeve through it. I may just order one in case and be done. It's not getting fitted for a while yet anyway unless I get really bored and want something to do in the near freezing garage.

Today I'm bored so I decided to test fit the Hayden fan clutch and Derale 17118 fan. I started by fitting the fan to the clutch. The instruction sheet with the clutch calls for min. G5, 5/16 x 18 x 5/8" bolts and torque to 15-18 ft/lbs or 20-24 Nm. Ok all well and good, but 5/8 bolts are not your average standard at the hardware store. I had G5 3/4" so cut them down. They do not call for washers, flat or spring and with the thickness of the fan material, 5/8" is a tad too long and might bottom out. The rule of thumb is 7 threads for full engagement or in this case about .390". the bolt hole measured just over 1/2" of full thread. I cut my bolts to .550" +. I was hesitant to add washers when not called for, but instead use blue loktite. With the clutch, they supply a bronze bushing and 4 spring washers which are for attaching the fan clutch to the water pump with a description of how to place the "split" on the flange. 

Well after a 1/2 hour freezing my ass off in the garage and without suitable 5/16 x 24 G8 bolts to finish the job, I was able to see approximately how far the fan will be within the shroud. My guess is about 75 % and the hub about 3-4" form the rad. As some have added a 1/2" spacer at the water pump, that I think would put the fan tips a bit too far into the shroud to be effective. As it is, the new fan is slightly further in that the old 4 blade taken out.

So, with that, any opinions? I'm in no rush, it's going to wait till it warms up now........... unless I get really bored!!

Well, I didn't wait for it to warm up too much. Today I got the G8 bolts, alloy steel split lock washers and braved the 35f temp in the garage and got it on. A PITA to do as there is only room to use a standard open end wrench, or at least I had just grabbed a 1/2" ratchet / open wrench. The ratchet wouldn't fit so I just used what was in my hand. Too lazy to dig out a box end wrench I guess. Not relying on just the lock washer, I also used blue loktite. Anyway I have not fired it up and that can wait till whenever I need to move the car.

Job done............. I hope!

As usual, I forgot to take some pictures as I do jobs on the car. So today, I took a few pictures of the fan clutch install. I think the fan looks to be set in the shroud about right, blade tips past the edge of the shroud by about 3/4". The 'square' part of the blade tip is within the shroud's flat area, which is where I believe it should be. 

I know some have used a 1/2" spacer, but looking at it, I think that would in effect bury the blades inside the shroud, which would cut the efficiency of the fan. Thoughts?

IMG_1654.1.JPG

IMG_1658.1.JPG

IMG_1659.1JPG.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Geoff - I recently added the 2710 clutch and Derale fan to mine. When I did it, I did a bit of research about spacers, and realized the setup I had (pre-clutch) had too long a spacer and the fan was sunk well within the shroud. I've read that the ideal is roughly 2/3 in the shroud to maximize the air draw through the radiator and minimize turbulence inside the shroud.

Now, using the 2710 clutch and the Derale fan, i have about 2/3 to 3/4 of the fan in the shroud, and the trailing edge of the fan out.

The roads haven't been suitable to have the car out, but I did start it and let it run a while. It is noticeably quieter at idle while the fan is disengaged - roar of the air coming off the fan is less intrusive. We'll see how she behaves on the road when it warms up, but I',m not anticipating any issues.

Interesting read there. If anything, the fan is slightly too far in, but the flat tip of the blades are within the straight part of the shroud opening. I can't bring the fan any further forward, so it is what it is. The only issue might be clearance. The article suggests a min of 1", the 17118 fan yields a clearance of only about 1/2", but I think that will be good as there is very little engine torque movement. A 17" fan would give about that clearance, however most seem to favour the 18" fan, which is what I have of course.

I agree Geoff - I recently added the 2710 clutch and Derale fan to mine. When I did it, I did a bit of research about spacers, and realized the setup I had (pre-clutch) had too long a spacer and the fan was sunk well within the shroud. I've read that the ideal is roughly 2/3 in the shroud to maximize the air draw through the radiator and minimize turbulence inside the shroud.

Now, using the 2710 clutch and the Derale fan, i have about 2/3 to 3/4 of the fan in the shroud, and the trailing edge of the fan out.

The roads haven't been suitable to have the car out, but I did start it and let it run a while. It is noticeably quieter at idle while the fan is disengaged - roar of the air coming off the fan is less intrusive. We'll see how she behaves on the road when it warms up, but I',m not anticipating any issues.
It would seem you have pretty much the same as what I have. If everything is stock, shroud, engine placement, water pump and pulley, then this is what it is. I have not yet fired it up, like I said too damn cold right now to do that, so it will sit till spring.

Thanks for you input, it's much appreciated and that goes to all who have replied and helped me (and hopefully others) out.

My fan needed a 1/2” spacer to get it in to the shroud some. Now it’s in the 2/3- 3/4 range like it should be. 
 John looking back at  your pics, there is something different. Your shroud appears to be shallower and your clutch appears to be much closer to the rad than on mine. Also you have a double pulley on the pump. So, a different set-up and there perhaps lies the difference and the need for the spacer.

Way back when I worked at Canadian Fram, (about 1980) we were working on truck fans and fan shrouds, big muvvers! These prototypes were made in steel, but I do remember we worked on various designs with various amounts of fan "inset" for the want of a better description, to get the most effective cooling. 

It would seem you have pretty much the same as what I have. If everything is stock, shroud, engine placement, water pump and pulley, then this is what it is. I have not yet fired it up, like I said too damn cold right now to do that, so it will sit till spring.

Thanks for you input, it's much appreciated and that goes to all who have replied and helped me (and hopefully others) out.
Your engine/fan setup looks almost identical to mine. My rad is aftermarket, but placement of everything is the same.

Back