RIBS 71 convertible build JUNE 21 till??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added a timing pointer, and rebuilt the pump for the top…

EBD0F27E-1F3F-47E3-A9F0-CD7BFE98CDE5.jpeg

0E9997D5-1446-45B4-806C-443878BB42E4.jpeg

Not a lot happening, evaluating the metal work that needs to be done before I re wire the car….and stripping the trunk to get rid of surface rust, using rust converting coating…

….also spent time on my Chevy truck evaporative emissions parts, cleverly placed on top of gas tank, under bed, up against Cab for the ultimate in PIA to work on…jack the truck, loosen bed, , unplug wiring harnesses, remove one rear tire, lower to jack stand on axle, jack bed, secure bed in place with 6x6’s or 8x8’s, jack truck again, jack stands, proceed to wiggle all the wires, check all connections, reverse the process. And hope you pass your emissions test after resets…truck does it every year, a week or two before renewal paperwork arrives.

1A8DA734-5FDE-4548-85B9-73D81A8E7788.jpeg

D3ADB0A9-46A2-4D62-8F73-837A7A41A656.jpeg

Just saw your post on working on your Vert. One of the best panel replacement shops in the U.S. is near Atlanta. They have done work for members that worked out great. Be very specific of what you want and how you want it put in writing so there is no gray areas. All they do is panel replacement not a body shop and will only put primer on, ZERO body and paint work.
https://www.graverobberssheetmetal.com/index.php/custom-frame-jigs

You will need to deliver the car with everything stripped off and out of the way for them to remove the old panels and replace with the new. They do not have the pricing for 71 - 73 on their site but you can see what it is for other years.
If you call be patient they do not have someone sitting there starring at a phone to answer immediately.
I am in Hendersonville, N.C. not too far away. I have five 72 & 73 verts but no 302.

Just saw your post on working on your Vert. One of the best panel replacement shops in the U.S. is near Atlanta. They have done work for members that worked out great. Be very specific of what you want and how you want it put in writing so there is no gray areas. All they do is panel replacement not a body shop and will only put primer on, ZERO body and paint work.
https://www.graverobberssheetmetal.com/index.php/custom-frame-jigs

You will need to deliver the car with everything stripped off and out of the way for them to remove the old panels and replace with the new. They do not have the pricing for 71 - 73 on their site but you can see what it is for other years.
If you call be patient they do not have someone sitting there starring at a phone to answer immediately.
I am in Hendersonville, N.C. not too far away. I have five 72 & 73 verts but no 302.

Thanks David,

I already spoke to them on the phone and sent pictures. The bottom line is they won’t touch it.  like you said, they only replace panels. I need fabrication work because door latch pillars are not available in aftermarket so replacement metal would have to be hand made.

They also said unless I stripped everything single thing off the car and let them media blast the entire shell, they would not consider it.

The car does not need that level of destruction, nor am I interested in dumping that much $ in a not rare fun car…

They might be good, but they made it clear they never wanted to see my car enter their shop.

Things are moving slowwwwww….I have been stripping the trunk to get rid of small surface rust.  I have a few small holes near the bumper support mounts, so my body guy will add them to the list….the trunk work is general prep for what’s to come.

My biggest problem is the door pillars need repair at the base. One side is cracked at rocker and quarter panel joint, so that whole area needs rework.  I know a welder that says he’s done auto body, he did an excellent job on my boat trailer…. Part of the pillar repair will be cutting out lower quarter panels and probably the wheel well lip and putting on a lower quarter skin…cutting out the quarter will expose the base of the pillars so they can be repaired….

170AA0A2-FA18-4EE7-8C66-4879A4847826.jpeg

617C72BB-3FCD-4920-97F7-6CB27D3E50E1.jpeg

Coming soon to my 302 convertible, dual exhaust!

But first, more shift and interlock linkage adjustment, rear C4 seal, adjust replace transmission band bolts, a little more degreasing, and a few hard brake line clips I left off due to access problems…STILL waiting on welder guy to give me an estimate! He saw the car 2 weeks ago!

89BF9861-430D-4B6C-903D-6889ABDA2FF0.jpeg

Your prior comment was things are moving slow....I wish I had your energy! I have not touched mine in close to 3 wks but that will change this wkend. You are moving along great. I enjoy seeing your progress.

So I finally dove into the door pillar with a grinder…I guess it’s what I expected.  I have been talking to a welder about working on the body, he finally gave me an estimate, now I think I have something we can talk about and work out a plan.

Here’s a single pic of the area I hit with grinder, sort of looks like an abstract art piece, not a car….. more pics below.

F217FFF6-7AFF-45CA-A4B3-A17B3BE72A3E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s better pictures, compare to a few posts above to see this area painted.

In short, under the filler is thin metal, cracks, and brazing…

I think this needs to be cut out, refabricated and strengthened….

97F9F013-08AC-4CC8-95BF-3047CE2A4463.jpeg

598EE848-FEB6-4628-84E9-AD703DD0B616.jpeg

D181FA5D-E2F3-4CA6-9992-0D7728885E5E.jpeg

B520A9A0-80AF-46D9-A87F-446982786AE3.jpeg

Looks like someone has been there before, I don't believe the factory brazed

I am headed to the shop now I will take a look at the door jam and see how it looks on one of my parts cars. It is against the wall or door on the side difficult to get a pic. I would just cut the bottom section out and leave the upper if you can. Less work and keeps the quarter panel attached to the inner at the top. I will get you some pics today.

Do some checking around the striker area , you should be able to see it from inside the quarter panel access. 

That tended to rot as it was two layers of bare metal

I haven’t updated in a while. Still prepping for welder, travel and guests have slowed me down.  
I stripped rear body, valance, bumper, lighting and wiring.  Going to clean it up, have welder do some trunk floor repairs, have some rear quarter work too. The car was rebuilt 30 years ago and I had 1 crack in bondo…trunk floor mostly stripped.

A6E005DB-4235-4F1E-B857-003F180E924D.jpeg

5F0B64B8-0CB7-4AF1-9796-7940BEE5E8FA.jpeg

03726F9E-65D4-4C4C-9893-55C2D05FD96F.jpeg

68FD12D2-5E23-4A5C-B12E-2F8C724BD226.jpeg

Here’s today’s work, stripped front end down to frame.  Discovered that the front clip is all original with matching serial numbers on the rails.  The passenger side needs very minor rust killing and the drivers side that was burned needs a bit more.  Over all though I am really happy with the condition….

tomorrow I am going to test the plenum to see if water gets in the passenger compartment….

E11441D6-3AEE-4D5B-B728-11BB8FB53152.jpeg

7B85A005-4034-42C1-BBCD-83E630A127A3.jpeg

E55AF26D-2F18-48CD-AC3B-E90348983652.jpeg

Back