Ride Height, Correct Replacement Springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffbl

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
2014 Ford F150
2018 Porsche Panamera

[url=https://ibb.co/i2uhXQ][img]https://preview.ibb.co/h0A0K5/815f.jpg[/img][/url]
My '71 Mach is coming along.  Had the Kick down rod adjusted for the FMX, and the correct exhaust tips installed.  I have always measured ride height at the center of the fender at the wheel well opening.  I am about 25 3/8" front and rear, and that is with 205/70R-14's. Honestly, I am ok with the 14" tires, and these are in good shape so will not be altered significantly as to size during my ownership tenure.  To my eye, she looks an inch low. ESPECIALLY in the rear. The front, honestly, is ok, but I know the springs are worn.  I have ordered Eaton leaf springs for a 65' Shelby GT350 and a 65' K code Fastback, and always had great results as to ride height and performance.  Wheel hop not really an issue, as I am running a stock 351C 2v and the aforementioned FMX.

I do plan to install Eaton rear leafs.  I see the springs for my application are differentiated by build dates of the cars, and I really do not know the differences, but I will go with Eaton's recommendation as my car was built in 12/70.  I also note that the spring rates are the same for 351 2v and 4v cars, and I am assuming the only difference may be in allowing for some difference for the staggered shocks found on the 4v cars? Just a guess.  If anyone knows feel free to chime in.

I do have a question  as to the front coil springs though.  I have always used Scott Drake 600lb springs on my 65' and 66' GT350's, and 65' K code Fastback, as they were, very competitive cars. They rode stiff, but it was correct and appropriate for those cars in my opinion.  The ride height was great, and I liked a simple black spring.

On my 71', however, it is a cruiser, really.  I do plan to replace my A/C compressor with a Sanden unit which is half the weight of the original, and it currently has a factory looking, but Aluminum, radiator that must weigh something less than the copper core unit also.  When combined with an aluminum intake, which I am likely to change largely because of weight, those changes add up to some amount.  Not huge savings, but not insignificant.  The Scott Drake 600lb springs drop the front an inch vs. stock, which will likely not be any vs. the current sagging springs...in fact when combined with the weight savings, that might put me a little higher than the current ride height even though they are rated an inch lower.  I know that really stiffens up the front, but as heavy as are these cars, I can't imagine it being brutal? I have read some have said it is too rough for their taste.  I usually put Koni shocks on vintage mustangs, and simply adjust them to the softest of three settings, which is still pretty firm.

Given the above, are the 600lb Scott Drakes a good option (recognizing it will be a bit stiff) or would you just go with Eaton Stock Coils, and maybe opt for a 1" lower ride height to offset the weight settings I described above? In a perfect world, I think i like the front end maybe a 1/2" lower than the back when measured at the wheel wells.  I find that to be a more flattering stance for these very long cars.

Photos are deceiving as to the varying angles of view, but the fender heights quoted above I think tell the story.  Thanks for your help and observations! 

Many Thanks!

[attachment=45497]

Before buying rear springs I'd replace the the bushings on both ends and see if it raises the car in the rear. Cutting, with a cut off wheel, 1/2 coil from the front lowers the car about .75" in the front. All the rubber bits go bad long before the springs do. Chuck

Before buying rear springs I'd replace the the bushings on both ends and see if it raises the car in the rear. Cutting, with a cut off wheel, 1/2 coil from the front lowers the car about .75" in the front. All the rubber bits go bad long before the springs do. Chuck
All true, of course Chuck.  I will check the bushings agin first. I glanced at them and I saw nothing unusual, but I will check more closely.  Thanks for the reminder!

Here's my thought on Scott Drake stuff. I'm not too impressed!! I bought the SD front end 'kit' for my 71 Mach, springs included. The control arms were satisfactory, no issues, but the springs were TOTALLY wrong. They may have been right for an earlier car, like a 65, but not the 71. The front end was up 2". I have posted on this issue several times, but in a nut shell, I ended up reusing my original front springs as they were still to spec. Cutting a spring increases the spring rate, so they will be stiffer. Best to get the correct springs from Eaton and be done with it.

As for rears, I just installed a set of Grab-A-Trak 4.5 leaf and my ride height is 1.5" higher, so I guess I'll be installing lowering blocks while they settle.......... I hope! And guess what, they are Scot Drake as well, just found that out. I reused my shackles as they too were in great shape, but with the new rubbers. The Grab-A-Track ones are half the thickness of the originals. I didn't think I could get 4.5 leaf springs from Eaton, so I went the these. The ride is much improved from the old sagged out originals, so I guess that's a plus.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
My hunch is that I will go ahead and replace the rears with correct leaf springs from Eaton....then look and see what the rear of the car's stance looks like relative to the front, and make a decision as to stock height coil springs or an inch lower then in front....that might make it easier to nail the correct stance front to back etc. Might even get the manifold and A/C compressor changed so as to know what weight will be up front also FIRST. :)

Back