• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Right side mirror glass

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well yes. Don at OMS sells a Scot Drake convex mirror which unfortunately they made the same tiny size of the original flat mirror. It will make right side rear vision better, but I made an alternative much larger custom convex mirror. I have posted on this many times. If interested, do a search or let me know and I'll get that info for you.

I did see the listing at OMS and a couple of other sites. He was the least expensive, but I was hoping to spend less by buying a used one.
There are also "stick-on" convex mirrors that are pretty cheap, but I worry about them falling off.
I'll take a look for your thread too, thanks for letting me know about it.
Mike

I did see the listing at OMS and a couple of other sites. He was the least expensive, but I was hoping to spend less by buying a used one.
There are also "stick-on" convex mirrors that are pretty cheap, but I worry about them falling off.
I'll take a look for your thread too, thanks for letting me know about it.
Mike
I have had the stick-on convex version for many years and so far so good... kock!knock! If you go this route it is very important to clean the mirror with alcohol before sticking it.

I have had the stick-on convex version for many years and so far so good... kock!knock! If you go this route it is very important to clean the mirror with alcohol before sticking it.
@tony-muscle thanks for the reply. That the mirror adheres well is good to hear. Does it look like it sticks out very far? It seems to me that having 2 layers of mirror might look strange

I have the SD convex mirror on my 71 as well. It's fairly thin at the edges, so it's not obnoxious to look at. Help a little with the side vision.
@Hemikiller That's good to hear, thanks.
I'm leaning more and more towards buying the convex replacement. I'll probably wait until I need to grab a couple of other things to save on shipping.

Thanks for your input guys.
Mike

@tony-muscle thanks for the reply. That the mirror adheres well is good to hear. Does it look like it sticks out very far? It seems to me that having 2 layers of mirror might look strange
I honestly completely forget that is there. Only someone really knowing what they are looking for will notice.

The problem with our mirrors is size. I've not seen a stick on mirror that is the same. You could get a larger replacement convex mirror and have it cut to size if you have a glass and mirror store near you. That being the case, I'd bust off the old mirror then 'glue' the replacement on to the base with black automotive GOOP. Wonderful stuff, I've used it for years when I built prototype air induction parts. I did mine several years ago and no sign of it coming lose.
Pic 1 is the aluminum backer, pic 2 is the finished mirror. gives me total view of the right side of the car and right lane.

Attachments

• DSC00319.1.JPG
    DSC00319.1.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00309.1.JPG
    DSC00309.1.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 7
Well yes. Don at OMS sells a Scot Drake convex mirror which unfortunately they made the same tiny size of the original flat mirror. It will make right side rear vision better, but I made an alternative much larger custom convex mirror. I have posted on this many times. If interested, do a search or let me know and I'll get that info for you.
The Scott Drake convex mirror works great for the passenger side. It can be easily applied over the existing mirror. Finally I’m able to drive my mustang with confidence, now being able to see something with that credit card sport mirror.

One of the things I noticed in searching for the convex mirror, was that it was only available for the passenger side. NOT THE DRIVERS SIDE!!! Why was that???

So I ordered another one for the driver side, I installed it exactly like I did the passenger side and it works great.

Does anyone know why they only sell the convex mirror specifically for the passenger side only? What’s the difference?

Is it the shape of the convex? If that was the case I was simply going to install it upside down. I’m an engineer and can’t figure this out.

Like I said, both of my mirrors are perfect now.

The Scott Drake convex mirror works great for the passenger side. It can be easily applied over the existing mirror. Finally I’m able to drive my mustang with confidence, now being able to see something with that credit card sport mirror.

One of the things I noticed in searching for the convex mirror, was that it was only available for the passenger side. NOT THE DRIVERS SIDE!!! Why was that???

So I ordered another one for the driver side, I installed it exactly like I did the passenger side and it works great.

Does anyone know why they only sell the convex mirror specifically for the passenger side only? What’s the difference?

Is it the shape of the convex? If that was the case I was simply going to install it upside down. I’m an engineer and can’t figure this out.

Interesting. I have it on the passenger side but I like the idea of trying it on the driver's side as well. Maybe the reason they don't market it that way is because "traditionally" the driver's side has been a 1-to-1 mirror for lack of better word.

Normally there is NOT a convex mirror on the driver side, but I do use a small "spot" mirror on my daily driver.
On my Mustang, I cut a larger flat mirror which I adhered to thin piece of aluminum, then "glued" that with two-faced tape over the original glass. The reason for that was the original mirror is still in good condition and that mirror assembly is hard to get out.
The reason why is because the passenger mirror needs to be convex to increase the view behind and reduce the blind spot. But as they all say on them," Objects are closer than they appear". The driver side mirror, being closer to the driver, does not need that, but a 'spot mirror" definitely helps cover that side blind spot.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Hi,
I ended up buying and installing the convex mirrror for my passengers side '73 Mach 1, and found it a big improvement for better vision all 'round. Just peel and stick using heavy duty indoor/outdoor double sided tape, on the existing mirror glass,and your ready to go.

I also came up with an idea of making a pine push stick with a rubber tip to control the mirror angels when sitting in the driver's seat. I sprayed it mat black and it works very well. Since those days, i've invented the power mirrors and have done away with the stick idea.

Greg.:)

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 008.JPG