Rocker Panel Repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[/align]Okay, here's a quick update. Using all of the available information, plus hacking off the end 3 inches of the reproduced rocker panel, I welded another piece of 22 ga sheet metal to it and cut, bent, sanded, grinded, forced, pushed, etc. the two pieces into the air space where the previous original metal used to be. A little bit of hack welding and here's what it looks like.. That is before cleanup. Took the better part of all of Saturday. 3 hours to heat up the garage, and about 5 hours tinkering with the sheet metal.

DSC06864.JPG

I used the preformed rocker panel as a backing and slid it into the hollow rocker panel while the home formed sheet metal was welded to the outside so that it would match up with the OEM metal on the car.

[/align]Okay, here's a quick update. Using all of the available information, plus hacking off the end 3 inches of the reproduced rocker panel, I welded another piece of 22 ga sheet metal to it and cut, bent, sanded, grinded, forced, pushed, etc. the two pieces into the air space where the previous original metal used to be. A little bit of hack welding and here's what it looks like.. That is before cleanup. Took the better part of all of Saturday. 3 hours to heat up the garage, and about 5 hours tinkering with the sheet metal.

I used the preformed rocker panel as a backing and slid it into the hollow rocker panel while the home formed sheet metal was welded to the outside so that it would match up with the OEM metal on the car.
R..Couldn't wait :s I know the feeling..I sent you a surprise in your package..We MADE one of the patches for ya...& I included the sheet metal to make the other...I guess when you get it you will see the major difference.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
D'oh.... that's my best Homer.
LOL..Well never be afraid to CUT out or replace work you have done prior. Sometimes it takes more than once to get it right..I sent you everything you need to get it right. I'm a man of my word ,& when I say I'm gonna send something you can bet you sweet bippie It's coming your way !

LOL..Well never be afraid to CUT out or replace work you have done prior. Sometimes it takes more than once to get it right..I sent you everything you need to get it right. I'm a man of my word ,& when I say I'm gonna send something you can bet you sweet bippie It's coming your way !
rofl you would not happen to have a new Aluminum radiator laying around to send my way would you?

rofl you would not happen to have a new Aluminum radiator laying around to send my way would you?
TN come on now ;) I don't mind helping out the 71-73 Guy's on the board here..But a rad & a alum one at that ! Ya got good taste my friend !! Only the best ! :p

R..Go watch my butt welding vid in the vid gallery..it will help u with installing the patches..http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-butt-welds-apron-fitting--1227

TN come on now ;) I don't mind helping out the 71-73 Guy's on the board here..But a rad & a alum one at that ! Ya got good taste my friend !! Only the best ! :p

R..Go watch my butt welding vid in the vid gallery..it will help u with installing the patches..http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-butt-welds-apron-fitting--1227
LOL you never know till you ask

Okay, I'm back. Had to take a technology break there for a while, shovel some snow, get some more heat for the garage...

Update. The part arrived and wow, the little mustang ponys must have been on my side.

DSC06871sc.jpg

Although I have been working on the drivers side rocker panel, the suprize custom bent replacement from a fellow site member fits the passengers side. Either he saw that I had redone the drivers side and bent a new one for the passengers side or I'm just lucky. Either way, I think I'm lucky to have you guys. Thanks so much for everything.

DSC06874s.jpg

So here's the progress on the drivers side. Looks like crap now, but work in progress. Welded two pieces of sheet metal together (one was cut off from the repop panel from NPD the other was custom bent in the garage) then welded them to the existing panel. A little Metal2metal by Evercoat, a little Rust Bullet and it'll all blend in.

Next it's off to the passengers side... Things look a little more ragged over there. Must be because that side always drove in the gutter side of the road where the salt collects. Off to go kill some rusticles...

DSC06869s.jpg

MD,

I know you don't want to hear this..But you need a quarter panel section on the right..That's pretty bad:( I looked on Don's site & I don't see a partial repair panel...www.rockauto.com has it. (The co I posted about in the saving$$$ thread)

Just use the menu to get to the 71-73 mustang parts....You can just section in what you need from that panel..you don't have to use the whole panel.

Scott

I think the same way... the rust there has made major damage... the wheel opening of the quarter is gone and if you try to reproduce it, you´re gonna be inventing the shape too much, it´s not gonna end up as good as it should...

Scotts linck didn´t work for me: http://www.rustrepair.com/repair_panels/...?r=ru&p=sm but this lower quart parts are available here and there...

The rocker should be pretty much the same work as the other side...

How are the inner parts?

Well.. good luck and i´m here if you need me

Thanks guys. Both of those links didn't pan out though. So a quick search turned up americanpony.com with this part for a little over $140. I'm still on the drivers side and will have to wait a few days/weeks/months whatever before I get over there.

Thanks again...

0852_1.jpeg

Thanks guys. Both of those links didn't pan out though. So a quick search turned up americanpony.com with this part for a little over $140. I'm still on the drivers side and will have to wait a few days/weeks/months whatever before I get over there.

Thanks again...
Md..www.rockauto.com

Click on the red start button...go to ford...go to year...go to mach 1.. go to body exterior...go to patch repair panel... $61.79 for what you need

qtr.jpg

Ya' know, sometimes hitting the easy button doesn't always work. The reproduction rocker panel arrived yesterday. Somehow, then end isn't what I seem to remember what mine looked like before they rusted out and turned into bondo art. The bondo is long since removed, but now it looks like I'm back to metal forming....
I know this is an old thread, but I am looking for some feedback in repop rocker panels. It seems that the ends of the C2s didn't match, but what about the mid section. Does the mid-section profile matches our OEM rocker? In my case I am looking just at the middle section.

This is a link to the C2 Rockers:

http://www.c2cfabrication.com/products/1971-73-mustang-outer-rocker-panel-2dr-rh

Here is a link to an alternate option, Sherman:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Sherman+Parts/455/469-00R/10002/-1

I am trying to figure out how good they are, shape- and thickness-wise. I found information that the C2's are 19-gauge, which is what the OEM seems to be. I don't know about the Sherman.

Back