Rubber flap on radiator that closes gap between radiator and radiator support

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdennis

Reaction score
Hey team,
Question.. Is the flap in the attached picture that is clipped to the top of the radiator that closes the gap between the radiator and the radiator support panel a factory item?
Was it used in any specific car / engine types in the 71-73 Mustangs?
The gap between the radiator to the support panel is naturally much wider where the car is a non AC car.
They are particularity hard to find but I notice West coast Cougar has them.. - https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/d0oz-8349-a-used.html?FromWishList=1418307&sessionthemeid=26
Whats the deal?? Where / when / why was it used / installed?

Engine bay with flap.jpg

While we are on the subject on engine bay..
What is the sticker on the front of the right hand (driver side) valve cover. Is it a part number? Are they available for reproduction? Is there a part number for a H code engine?
Also, is the Yellow OK stamp available from somewhere?
See Red circles on the pictures.

Engine bay - Labels and stickers.jpg

Yes, that flap is a factory item. I have seen them offered by a few different places, but I'm not sure if anyone sells the clips that hold it to the radiator frame. I could use a new flap and clips myself. That's a pretty clean looking engine compartment, ( with a few additional touches added ).I know the sticker on the driver's side valve cover is the engine code sticker.

My 72 came with one originally. Over the years it developed a split along the top so I replaced it with one from NPD, Ohio Mustang, or Kentucky Mustang. The replacement is a stiffer material than the original and I had to trim it to fit. Does the job.
The decals and stamps are available from NPD, I believe.

Unless there has been a change, Jim Osborn Reproductions make and sell most of the decals and stickers for our cars. I have (or had) an old catalog that shows most that are available. As for the engine ID sticker, there was not one available for my specific engine, so I bought one for the Boss, took it to a local decal /sign shop and they reproduced one for me with the correct numbers and letters. L over 6 is the limit initial timing of 6 degrees. K is the engine plant prefix code for 71-72 non-thermactor, non California, 613 in this case indicates 4 speed trans and J indicates the second year of a three year cycle for plant codes. Hard to explain, but it's all in the Marti Mustang and Cougar Tag Book.
( actually, I just realized I screwed up on mine. My car was a California car, therefore the prefix ought to be KK 613 J. Ooops!)

Attachments

• IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 2
Hey team,
Question.. Is the flap in the attached picture that is clipped to the top of the radiator that closes the gap between the radiator and the radiator support panel a factory item?
Was it used in any specific car / engine types in the 71-73 Mustangs?
The gap between the radiator to the support panel is naturally much wider where the car is a non AC car.
They are particularity hard to find but I notice West coast Cougar has them.. - https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/d0oz-8349-a-used.html?FromWishList=1418307&sessionthemeid=26
Whats the deal?? Where / when / why was it used / installed?

View attachment 73444
It is a Ford Mustang Factory item and I think it is on all engines sizes from 1971-1973 Mustangs. I have one on my 72 since it was new and have seen them on many other Mustangs.

Unless there has been a change, Jim Osborn Reproductions make and sell most of the decals and stickers for our cars. I have (or had) an old catalog that shows most that are available. As for the engine ID sticker, there was not one available for my specific engine, so I bought one for the Boss, took it to a local decal /sign shop and they reproduced one for me with the correct numbers and letters. L over 6 is the limit initial timing of 6 degrees. K is the engine plant prefix code for 71-72 non-thermactor, non California, 613 in this case indicates 4 speed trans and J indicates the second year of a three year cycle for plant codes. Hard to explain, but it's all in the Marti Mustang and Cougar Tag Book.
( actually, I just realized I screwed up on mine. My car was a California car, therefore the prefix ought to be KK 613 J. Ooops!)

Geoff,
Thanks for the info. I found Jim's latest catalogue here >
Per page 75 I see the engine compartment decals.

Mine is a 72 H code, FMX auto with California emissions. I don't have a copy of the Marti book. Could you please do me a favour and look up the correct code for my engine?
Could you also please PM me a picture with measurements of the Boss sticker you have and I may be able to get one made locally.

Re the rubber strip on the radiator, thanks for the info. I will see if I can source one from NPD.

Geoff,
Thanks for the info. I found Jim's latest catalogue here >
Per page 75 I see the engine compartment decals.

Mine is a 72 H code, FMX auto with California emissions. I don't have a copy of the Marti book. Could you please do me a favour and look up the correct code for my engine?
Could you also please PM me a picture with measurements of the Boss sticker you have and I may be able to get one made locally.

Re the rubber strip on the radiator, thanks for the info. I will see if I can source one from NPD.

Happy to help.
1972 H code 351C 2v. Engine code = H, Trans = Auto, Plant code w/FMX = 604.
What I don't have reference to is the timing limit for the 72. That may be available in the 72 manual OR maybe someone can chime in. L (over) 6 might be ok for the sticker if you're not too concerned about accuracy. For the sticker size dimensions, I bought a Boss engine sticker from NPD and used that as a template. You will need to make sure whomever duplicates this, uses heat resistant material.
I will message you with the size. I may still have a sample of mine that I can measure. Also, and at this point and I can't be sure, I may know someone who could make that sticker for you here and I could send it to you. I'll let you know on that in a PM.
As for the OK stamp, I don't have that reference as it was not on my untouched engine when I got it. If someone can get the size, any company that makes rubber stamps could make one.

Back