running Ram air scoops always open?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1990 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, 306ci
1978 F150 Ranger, 545 Stroker
1973 Mexican Mach 1 ( final confirmation TBD), 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/kqFMPqf][img]https://i.ibb.co/GCjFrCL/pic1.jpg[/img][/url]
is anyone running their ram air scoops without the dummy plates, but without installing the actuated ram air doors?  I was thinking about just removing the ram air dummy plates to get more airflow over the engine for cooling.  my only concern is debris and water getting in.  I don't drive the car in the rain( I don't any hvac)....  does someone sell simple screens that replace the dummy plates?  thanks

I thought about doing the same. I was gonna make my own screens to replace the block offs. But I was concerned about the air pressure wanting to lift the hood. And if I get caught in the rain sometime, that sure would make a mess under hood if driving in it.

Running with hood scoops open will not help cool the engine. In fact, it's liable to have the opposite effect, causing air pressure to increase under the hood, and reducing airflow through the radiator.

I haven’t had mine in my hood for 15 years or more. No ill effects. I don’t think it helps any either. I just never reinstalled mine after painting because one of the tabs broke.

The thing to watch for with the scoop block plates out is primary hood latch failure .  The Chrome twist locks do help take the stress off the primary.

I know this first hand.  Running mine fast on the highway all the time in High School I saw my primary latch starting fail and had a buddy lose his hood on the highway the same way.

kcmash

Always ran mine open. Was hoping to help it run cooler. Didn't really help. Plenty of 100+ mph time and didnt ever think the hood was going to fly off or anything like that.

I did however, get stranded one night because it was pouring rain and the water coming into the engine bay shorted the coil.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I cut the blanks out and put in a grille, no problems and no overheating issues, just crank issues LOL

Our XB falcons use an open scoop from factory, hood locks or not - see pic below

Don't care if it helps or hinders, I just like the cooler air for the intake

It won't help or hurt anything. I've been running them open for over 20 years with many long distance road trips. The only downside I can see is road grime from running in the rain if that matters to you, it doesn't bother me.

I installed a solenoid activated vacuum shutoff to control the RAM air flapper manually. If the solenoid is activated it cuts vacuum and the flapper stay open all the time. If the solenoid is deactivated then it works directly with vacuum. I mounted the switch under the dash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've often thought it would be cool to have some sort of mechanical cable setup where it opens and closes the flaps with throttle input the same way a bugatcher scoop does. Would just be for cool factor I suppose.

I suppose mine's in a similar boat - Ram Air ducts 'frozen' open (since mine's an original Ram Air car, but the actuators are non-functional).  I currently still don't have the Ram Air air cleaner installed, so the air is basically going thru the openings and dumping right above the air cleaner (I do have the plenum and everything else installed).

No issues at speed - although I do have hood locks.

I've often thought it would be cool to have some sort of mechanical cable setup where it opens and closes the flaps with throttle input the same way a bugatcher scoop does. Would just be for cool factor I suppose.

That would be pretty cool.  Would you hook it up to something like a manual choke slider in the cab, or find a way to hook it up to the carb linkage so it would cycle as the carb's butterflies do?

That would be pretty cool.  Would you hook it up to something like a manual choke slider in the cab, or find a way to hook it up to the carb linkage so it would cycle as the carb's butterflies do?
I was thinking attached to the carb linkage to open when the butterflies do. I dont know, maybe I'll see what I can fabricate when the time comes.
I just know that on engines with big cams that dont produce a lot of vacuum, the flaps probably won't work correctly.

I was thinking attached to the carb linkage to open when the butterflies do. I dont know, maybe I'll see what I can fabricate when the time comes.

I just know that on engines with big cams that dont produce a lot of vacuum, the flaps probably won't work correctly.

The way they work from factory is that vacuum will close them and no vacuum will open them. So when they engine is off they are "normally" open and when you start they will close. So if you have no vacuum they will be open all the time. I have no idea what is the minimum vacuum they need to open but i don't think it is much. Mine has worked with 10" vacuum.

Back