rust free convertible here in AZ

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5335244457.html

I don't normally post up craigslist but I saw this one and it seems like a decent deal. Claims no rust. The door panels look good. Power windows is a nice option.

'Engine makes noise'. Looks like it needs a top, a fresh paint job and some interior work. But for under 9K a rust free convertible isn't a bad deal.

If someone is serious about it I could go check it out for ya. PM me.

Look like a nice car to me. If the power windows work and the AC. The seller should not have a problem getting that price for that car if the engine noise is something minor. There not a lot of 72 verts around for purchase.

John J

As I found recently, AZ cars are not rust free, however, they certainly rust less... The desert dirt, etc cakes up on the undercarriage and it may look bad initially, but once you properly clean (blast/dip etc.), these parts turn out awesome.

Rust does accumulate on any bare steel parts that the factory did not at least apply a coat of paint. This creates its own challenges, especially inside the hood. With at least some form of minimal protection over the bare steel areas, the car would almost be rust free, even after 44 years... The areas where rust accumulates regardless of where the car is located is in the seams (upper) of the engine bay aprons where they join each other. Moisture gets in these seams and if not treated during restoration (ie, pieces taken apart and corrected, they will rust through as they did in two areas on my car before I took possession.

Otherwise, compared to cars I have been involved with here in Canada for 35 years, a southern, West Coast or desert climate car is the way to go if you can find one in your budget range. This is why I think this particular car is worth at least the asking price; if the body is anywhere near that similar to my recent purchase; will turn into a real good investment. My .02cents on the issue...

I was just comparing to California car I purchased last year that sat in garage for over 20 years and original factory paint, no rust and a 351 with great interior and options, new top, new wheels, new tires was only $7,200 on eBay. The 302 cars just do not bring money like a 351 H or Q code.

Any car without rust is great but you need a good bone to start with. Look for a Cleveland if you can find.

David

Look like a nice car to me. If the power windows work and the AC. The seller should not have a problem getting that price for that car if the engine noise is something minor. There not a lot of 72 verts around for purchase.

John J
What would you consider minor engine noise? What would be fixable without a rebuild?

This is a partial shot of a "rust free" AZ car... albeit a convertible. 44 years later, this is pretty good for a 'vert; most would have rotted the floors out and needed replacement by now. After blasting, there was a couple pin holes in the passenger side floor boards, but were easy fixes. Note the surface rust on the inside of both doors. I had to send the doors in to be chemically dipped to get the rust out.

71 429cj convertible interior removed.jpg

Last edited:
Back