RUST OLEUM...UGG

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MustangSally44

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach1
From time to time we reach for the easy spray can to touch up under the hood or some interior pieces so I thought I would share my Rustoleum nightmare with the group.I restore old motorcycles and my paint of choice is Tremclad which is the Canadian version of Rustoleum. Im currently restoring a tank for a friend but couldnt get Tremclad to match the new plastic fenders so I opted for 2 cans of Rustoleum 2x ultra coverage. I filled the dents, primed, spot puddyed and used some old Tremclad to seal the bodywork. so far so good. The first coat of Rustolium krinkled more than krinkle paint. Sanded down to bare metal again and washed with oil and grease remover. Another coat of Rustoleum and it looked ok. let dry for 54 hours and wetsanded. The paint krinkled again. Sanded down and washed again. Another first coat and it looked ok. Set it on the warm radiator in my dinning room for 7 days befor wetsanding and recoating. KRINKLE KRINKLE KRINKLE. Called the Rustoleum tech support and was told the instructions on the can..." recoat within 1 hour or after 48 hours " were under ideal laboratory conditions and that I should recoat no longer than 4 minuits apart or after 14 days with a fan blowing on it. WOW. Time to sand it down again. A Iittle digging on the internet and I found they were being sued for false advertising because 2X is the name and doesnt mean 2 times the coverage. Im so peeved with this company. Bottom line is beware of rustoleum unless you paint in a laboratory

Last edited:
I have been using 2x since it came out, on all sorts of stuff. Never had a problem. Even did the stripes on my 2012.

Attachments

• 239814039_1557454257930465_8079217248952829462_n.jpg
    239814039_1557454257930465_8079217248952829462_n.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 9
From time to time we reach for the easy spray can to touch up under the hood or some interior pieces so I thought I would share my Rustoleum nightmare with the group.I restore old motorcycles and my paint of choice is Tremclad which is the Canadian version of Rustoleum. Im currently restoring a tank for a friend but couldnt get Tremclad to match the new plastic fenders so I opted for 2 cans of Rustoleum 2x ultra coverage. I filled the dents, primed, spot puddyed and used some old Tremclad to seal the bodywork. so far so good. The first coat of Rustolium krinkled more than krinkle paint. Sanded down to bare metal again and washed with oil and grease remover. Another coat of Rustoleum and it looked ok. let dry for 54 hours and wetsanded. The paint krinkled again. Sanded down and washed again. Another first coat and it looked ok. Set it on the warm radiator in my dinning room for 7 days befor wetsanding and recoating. KRINKLE KRINKLE KRINKLE. Called the Rustoleum tech support and was told the instructions on the can..." recoat within 1 hour or after 48 hours " were under ideal laboratory conditions and that I should recoat no longer than 4 minuits apart or after 14 days with a fan blowing on it. WOW. Time to sand it down again. A Iittle digging on the internet and I found they were being sued for false advertising because 2X is the name and doesnt mean 2 times the coverage. Im so peeved with this company. Bottom line is beware of rustoleum unless you paint in a laboratory
Don't feel to bad about it Mustangsally, very similar situations happened to me with brands other then Rustolium. There's a time "window" for all paint regarding recoats. Its tough for manufactures to articulate all the nuances on the label.

Same here as Johnny57, the 2X covers well and flows nicely. You may have some finish on the metal/material that sanding won't take off. Try degreaser or maybe lacquer thinner to wipe it down. If you are using another primer or sealer, it could be that as well.

There has to be something in the primer that you are using that is not playing well with the Rustoleum, at least that is the only thing I can think of. Whatever the Rustoleum is being painted on is not playing well with the Rustoleum.

the other day I had a similar problem with some Rust Oleum gloss black paint. What I did that I think caused the problem was that I painted the parts at night and it was really humid. I was so pissed at having to do the job again that I switched to some Duplicolor Semi Gloss Black. The Duplicolor seems to atomize much better than the Rust Oleum stuff, came out much better, but I did paint it during the day when the sun was out.

I'm no painter, but why use paint intended for "lawn furniture" on a car or motorcycle? At least, that's the way I think of Tremclad or Rustoleum.
Paints are like oil and water. They don't mix. You can't paint Lacquer over enamel or visa versa and hope for a good result at least without proper priming.
Whenever I need to do a rattle can touch up on scratches or shopping cart dings, I now spend a few bucks extra and buy automotive code matched base coat, mixed and canned at my local Automotive paint supply shop. At a pinch, Duplicolor or SEM paints will work fine especially for small jobs.

Back