Sad story with happy ending (Long)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterV

Reaction score
My Car
My Mustang disappeared in 1986 :(
My first car, bought for $1,200 in 1982 was a 1971 Mustang convertible. 2V 351C, deluxe interior, decor group, power windows, full instrumentation, it had everything.  It had been rear ended (damage limited to bumper and rear trunk panel), needed a top end rebuild (too many nights at the NHRA Friday night races didn't help). I joined the Navy and purchased another car. The condo association was pestering my parents about using three spaces and wanted it gone.  I was waiting to see if I would get my promotion to E-4 and would use the raise entirely for storage and to slowly get it all fixed.

The sad part is I found out I was getting promoted on a Thursday. Since I was driving home that weekend I decided to surprise them when I got there early Saturday morning.  My Dad had sold it on Friday :(  Had I called, I'd still have that car.  Dad said he sold it for $900, but I learned later it was only $600 and he pitched in $300.

Well, at 52 and retirement only 3-4 years away it was time to replace my car. (We can call it a midlife crisis).  I now feel even MORE ill thinking about losing that car discovering how rare all those options are.  However, pending only a vehicle inspection I have purchased an M code '71 convertible.  However, it's otherwise mostly a base model. I hope to pick it up soon!!

After I retire I'd like to convert the interior and retro everything to the interior I had, other than using 3rd party front seats, rebuild the engine, new paint, etc.  Wondering if there is anything in converting to deluxe and decor group that would be unusually difficult. I would also toss most everything pulled out into the attic or garage and save it.  I'm also considering at least a minor restomod and will be looking at ideas from others. Maybe newer instrumentation, stereo, Mach 1 hood (love those). No Mach 1 stripes though, I don't want to even imply it's a Mach 1 :)

Anyway, I'll soon be a regular user of "Search", followed by posting a question already answered because I used the wrong words in search :)  Here's the pic and link on the new car.  I'd be surprised if the current owner isn't on this site.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/mustang/2305427.html#

Yeah, I think most of us wish we still had some of our early cars, and a lot of us had to give up them up when entering the military.

I'm glad you're able to realize your dream.

Welcome to the forum, from Oregon.

My first car, bought for $1,200 in 1982 was a 1971 Mustang convertible. 2V 351C, deluxe interior, decor group, power windows, full instrumentation, it had everything.  It had been rear ended (damage limited to bumper and rear trunk panel), needed a top end rebuild (too many nights at the NHRA Friday night races didn't help). I joined the Navy and purchased another car. The condo association was pestering my parents about using three spaces and wanted it gone.  I was waiting to see if I would get my promotion to E-4 and would use the raise entirely for storage and to slowly get it all fixed.

The sad part is I found out I was getting promoted on a Thursday. Since I was driving home that weekend I decided to surprise them when I got there early Saturday morning.  My Dad had sold it on Friday :(  Had I called, I'd still have that car.  Dad said he sold it for $900, but I learned later it was only $600 and he pitched in $300.

Well, at 52 and retirement only 3-4 years away it was time to replace my car. (We can call it a midlife crisis).  I now feel even MORE ill thinking about losing that car discovering how rare all those options are.  However, pending only a vehicle inspection I have purchased an M code '71 convertible.  However, it's otherwise mostly a base model. I hope to pick it up soon!!

After I retire I'd like to convert the interior and retro everything to the interior I had, other than using 3rd party front seats, rebuild the engine, new paint, etc.  Wondering if there is anything in converting to deluxe and decor group that would be unusually difficult. I would also toss most everything pulled out into the attic or garage and save it.  I'm also considering at least a minor restomod and will be looking at ideas from others. Maybe newer instrumentation, stereo, Mach 1 hood (love those). No Mach 1 stripes though, I don't want to even imply it's a Mach 1 :)

Anyway, I'll soon be a regular user of "Search", followed by posting a question already answered because I used the wrong words in search :)  Here's the pic and link on the new car.  I'd be surprised if the current owner isn't on this site.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/ford/mustang/2305427.html#

Finding original parts is very difficult.  I had the back seat of my 72 Mach 1 completely rebuilt....The frame was blasted an repainted and new foam cut to match the original and vinyl cover to match my new Procar reclining seats.  Anyway, Dakota Digital sells a replacement cluster that has full instrumentation with lighting available in different colors as well as light or dark background.  Be sure to have the wiring inspected since a lot of DYI's pretend to know how to modify wiring and repairs.  My Mach 1 almost burned up when I repaired the signal lights. The wire from the column harness to the signal relay was missing or broken.  I ran an new wire from the relay to the column harness and using an original wiring schematic downloaded from the net, connected it up according to the diagram.  when I turn the ignition to on and tested it, it worked fine but when I tried to start my precious Stang smoke billowed out from under the dash.  There was a dead short and my Stang could have burned down.  Anyway, I had to get my car completely rewired as I had not the time to do it....but now I have peace of mind. So please have the wiring looked over and all the systems tested as most sellers will tell you anything you want to hear to make a sale.

Welcome to the forum.

I had looked at that car previously seems to have some great options and looks to be a solid car.

You asked about going to the deluxe interior. The biggest difference is the arm rest and the inside door handle and mechanism. I think you have to replace some of that. Also the deluxe steering wheel has different center or a three spoke rim blow.

In 72 & 73 you got the deluxe interior in all convertibles I think. 

The other barrier you will have is getting the comfort weave seat covers. They do not make them just fake printed comfort weave. Last time I checked with SMS upholstery they were out of the real comfort weave material.

You already have the convenience group looks like so door panels and seats are the only changes you would be making.

The repo door panels do not come with any of the trim so you will need to locate donor panels but coupe, vert and fastback are all the same. 

The top will need replacing soon but can fix the hole from the back side also. Kee tops in Charlotte, N.C. makes really nice tops. 

When you do the top there will probably be rust in the rain gutter around the back that will need some attention. 

Also when the top is off be sure to go through the front latches and rebuilt / repair. You cannot get them apart with the top on so do while it is off. If you can locate another frame you can actually rebuild the entire frame and just swap them out. 

I preach to the forum about never washing these cars with running water or car wash. You just feed the rust inside the doors, quarters and cowl when you do. Just wiping with wet microfiber towels will do fine and not keep the rust alive. 

The inside back panels do not have speaker holes either. They are impossible to find and 71 is a one year thing also. You have the door speakers and the grills for 71 are also a one year thing. One center bar on the back side 72 & 3 had two or three I forget.

I have 5 of them sitting around here.

Very nice car! Both my cars are options loaded with deluxe interior. I don't think there is any technical installation problems going from base to deluxe/options.

The problems are more on the color side of things and some 71 only parts. Like the 71 button bezel on a deluxe door for power windows (if you have located the power windows mechanism+harness first). The defrost option might also be challenging. For seats and some plastics, if you go black or white (as you have now), you can still can find some (pricy) re-pops like the deluxe door panels. If you go for ginger, blue or green interior (if the colour was originally something else than white) all becomes more complicated and chances you'd find some in mint condition are near zero. I saw few ginger deluxe panels on E-bay offered for lots but not really better than mine. I would not even consider to put them back in this kind of state.

So I'd say, prepare yourself to learn a few (new) disciplines to make what you can't find or mod others. Once retired, you'll have plenty time to enjoy the hobby!

Welcome from the northern Netherlands

Welcome from Eastern PA.

I still have my first car and it was a huge struggle to keep it as I moved around. My 72 Conv sat in my current garage for over 25 years. I just started the process last year to get it running and stopping. Just put a new front suspension this month. It makes me very happy to have it back.

CV 72 Mustang.

Welcome from another convertible guy. One consideration for upgrading to the deluxe interior, is that there are a couple of pieces of bracketing to attach the door pull that aren't included with the door card, and I'm not sure if they will come with an aftermarket door pull either. As far as mods go, take your time and really consider what you like and don't like. Lots of choices out there, and everyones tastes are different. Good luck with the journey. Keep us posted (with pictures)!

Scott

Welcome, and good luck!

My first was a '71 Sportsroof with the Sport Decor interior (Mach 1 styling) back in '76. While I won't detail the benefits of the fold-down back seat (folded down, it's great for looking up at the stars... ahem), when it came time to resurrect my when-I-was-young-car I really did NOT want to deal with the 2" of view in the rearview and had always wanted a convertible. Here in So Cal that can be a great year-round car, so a '73 convertible with Decor paint trim & hood scoops (but not Ram Air) and Deluxe Interior (std on 'verts) sits in the driveway undergoing a very slow refresh.

Thanks for all the Welcomes and information. It looks like getting deluxe interior may be a little more difficult than I had imagined, but at least I'll have plenty of time on my hands to hunt down parts :)

Back