Sail Panel Install for a 71 Mach

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
70 Maverick Grabber w/351W & Toploader
71 Mach 1 w/ 429 & T56
When checking my interior assembly manual this weekend, I did not see a description for how to install sail panels. I'm sure I'll kick myself once I see how it's done, but as of now, I can't see how this attaches to the area between the headliner and the quarter trims. There's no push pins or screws on my panels (these are re-pops made by TMI). I did notice that there is a small plastic "circle" glued on the back side (about 1" diameter if I recall) that I'm thinking maybe a clip slides into? If anyone has detail, I'd appreciate.

Marc

When checking my interior assembly manual this weekend, I did not see a description for how to install sail panels. I'm sure I'll kick myself once I see how it's done, but as of now, I can't see how this attaches to the area between the headliner and the quarter trims. There's no push pins or screws on my panels (these are re-pops made by TMI). I did notice that there is a small plastic "circle" glued on the back side (about 1" diameter if I recall) that I'm thinking maybe a clip slides into? If anyone has detail, I'd appreciate.

Marc
Thats correct, the Original sail panels had a clip like the door panels use. My New sail panels dont have that. I ended up using a washer trim screw into the center of the sail panel. I drilled a hole into the teeth strip. And Wa-la it fixed the issue appropriately.

As machattack said, there's a doorpanel clip in the center. Rear flap glues around rear window opening flange. Front is captured by the quarter window trim, bottom by the lower sail panel plastic trim on fixed rear seat cars, or the trim panels on a fold down car.

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/new_page_36.htm

Ok...very good info. Does anyone have a pic they can share? Also, I'm assuming this step is completed after headliner install correct...or does it have to be done concurrently with headliner install?

Ok...very good info. Does anyone have a pic they can share? Also, I'm assuming this step is completed after headliner install correct...or does it have to be done concurrently with headliner install?

Don't have any in-process pics. Headliner first, then sailpanel, then backlight glass and gasket.

Best I got - you can see the clip that the tab on the sail panel will attach to. The rest is done as Hemi stated.

Attachments

• 20190611_094122 (2).jpg
    20190611_094122 (2).jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 2
I honestly don't know how they do them if the back window isn't out. Anyway, you'll receive them as a cardboard panel with @ 1 1/4" of extra fabric material. You'll have to cut notches out each corner, along with a couple of slices where it has a notch in the panel itself to relieve the material around the perimeter. Use spray on adhesive or even 3m super weatherstripping adhesive to glue all the material back except the top section that gets tucked under the window trim. There's a clip in the back that slides in a slot. The proper way to install them is with the back glass out. I have a few pics on the media section.

Last edited:
It is possible to install the new panels without taking out the back glass. You can pull back the rubber enough to tuck in the extra material along the window line. You can use a flathead screwdriver or small putty knife to help pull back the rubber and tuck the material under the rubber

Hi Marc,
I would advise away from spray on 3m adhesives. They will never dry and will let go leaving voids and puckers. I made that mistake on a different item I vinyl glued.
Use the old fashion DAP contact adhesive. Its what Ford used and will never let go.

Late tot he party Marc but I posted pictures of my install a couple weeks ago. It was pretty easy and straight forward. Pictures can be found at the link below.

https://7173mustangs.com/threads/interior-color-change-winter-project-neat-surprise.42051/
Funny thing is, I only just read your post on this. I was going to suggest to Marc, he read your post, but you did that for me.
I remember seeing and talking to you at one of the Dearborn shows, probably 2018. Your car will deffinetly look better with the white interior. Hope to see it this August.

Hi Marc,
I would advise away from spray on 3m adhesives. They will never dry and will let go leaving voids and puckers. I made that mistake on a different item I vinyl glued.
Use the old fashion DAP contact adhesive. Its what Ford used and will never let go.
I actually complained to the interior shop about the spray, since I had to reapply it in a few places. I've never tried dap & might consider it next time. It would be hell to remove, maybe that's a good thing here.

I honestly don't know how they do them if the back window isn't out. Anyway, you'll receive them as a cardboard panel with @ 1 1/4" of extra fabric material. You'll have to cut notches out each corner, along with a couple of slices where it has a notch in the panel itself to relieve the material around the perimeter. Use spray on adhesive or even 3m super weatherstripping adhesive to glue all the material back except the top section that gets tucked under the window trim. There's a clip in the back that slides in a slot. The proper way to install them is with the back glass out. I have a few pics on the media section.
Marc, do these pics help?
This is mine as the car was getting stripped for paint.
Hi Geoff...yes they do help. Thanks. My forte is definitely all things mechanical...anything that involves stitching is more challenging!

Did you do the install and if so how did it go?
I got the headliner installed...but not yet glued. pulled everything back as best I could this past weekend and held in place with binder clips. I wanted to give it a few days to "stretch in place" and relax a bit before giving it a final "tighten and glue"

Back