Screechy window when rolling down

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
My windows are really screechy when I roll them down only. I am sure it is the exterior beltline weatherstrip against the window. I can pull the window in and the screech is reduced. The weatherstrips are only three years old and it is this year when they got really loud. Any ideas on how to fix this issue.

Have you tried a good 100% silicone spray lube. Spray a little on and let it sit for about 5 minutes and then wipe off. Good for rubber that is starting to dry out. Another quick fix is baby powder. Wind your window down and apply some on the weatherstrips and wind the window up and down a few times and then repeat if needed. Works great unless the weatherstripping is really shot.

Have you tried a good 100% silicone spray lube. Spray a little on and let it sit for about 5 minutes and then wipe off. Good for rubber that is starting to dry out. Another quick fix is baby powder. Wind your window down and apply some on the weatherstrips and wind the window up and down a few times and then repeat if needed. Works great unless the weatherstripping is really shot.
Good idea, thanks. I was afraid of making the window messy but silicone may do the trick. I also have some dry lube that I use for RC cars that could work. I will try and report back.

Good idea, thanks. I was afraid of making the window messy but silicone may do the trick. I also have some dry lube that I use for RC cars that could work. I will try and report back.
You might want to try the baby or talcum powder first if you have some. Simple to do and only takes a few minutes. If not, the rc lube will probably work. Hope one of the two takes care of it.

Dust and dirt in the rubber tracks? A Q tip with soap and water might help to remove it. Then some lube. (not KY)
I have this problem on my VW daily driver. Annoying squeaks indeed, but too lazy to fix it right now. Heck, I just cleaned the inside for the first time in 2 years! Don't rush me.

Back