Sealant under windshield trim?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hi folks,

Last night I removed the trim around my windshield. I thought it would just be held in place by the clips but some PO found it neccesary to also put insane amounts of sealant under the trim and in between the glass and A-pillar. Having a look, the rust I found here and there made me think how there actually should NOT be any sealer under the trim so that water can run down underneath the trim.

Who knows if sealant is supposed to be underneath the trim or not?

Thanks,

Vincent.

PS: I'm not talking about the sticky stuff underneath the glass.

No sealant there. The PO prolly had a leak and fixed that ;)
Another potential reason, is that I recall these clips were not avail or very hard to find during the 90's (at least from this side of the pool)
so if you do not have them all (you can count the rivets on the car), he went for "glueing"...

Its my understanding these cars were prone to windshield leaks that rusted/rotted the dash. Our car was rusted when we took the dash apart. when washing or raining there was a small dribble of water on the inside of the windshield. Eventually there would be a wet spot on the floor.My wife painstakingly masked the roof, trim, and windshield, then put a small bead of black rv silicone on both sides of the trim. after smoothing out the silicone you couldnt see it. she did a great job and stopped the leak. I know its not the "right" way to do things but I dont see anything wrong with preserveing the car untill the windshield needs to come out for some other reason.  We all leaked a little at that age. Didnt we?

I don't take a leak; I leave a leak.

Just had to say that when you're talking about leaking...

Back