Seat platforms

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 Mustang (project)
93 Dodge Shadow (daily)
86 Buick Regal (2nd project)
I'm a little on the tall side and the seats I have are slightly taller (aftermarket). When I set the seat on the platform with the rails and all mocked up my head was tight on the roof and that's with no headliner.

Can I just bolt the seat rails directly to the floor with some reinforcements? I just want to make sure that If I don't put the platforms in I'm not compromising any structural integrity of the chassis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little on the tall side and the seats I have are slightly taller (aftermarket). When I set the seat on the platform with the rails and all mocked up my head was tight on the roof and that's with no headliner.

Can I just bolt the seat rails directly to the floor with some reinforcements? I just want to make sure that If I don't put the platforms in I'm not compromising any structural integrity of the chassis.
I'm 6'4" and have that problem in some cars, but your best resolution is to get a convertible! :D (sorry, I couldn't resist)

I could always cut the roof in my Mach and make it a targa top. not.

Funny story about a convertible. My uncle has a 91 mercury capri and we went for a ride and if I sat up straight the top of my head and almost my eyes were above the windshield.

Back on topic. I was thinking if I were to get some 1/4 or 3/8 steel and weld them to the floor and make a box about the same size as the platforms this would compensate for the missing platforms.

Wow, that's weird. I'm 6'5", and honestly, my '71 has the most legroom and headroom out of any car I've ever owned... aside from my '97 Ram, that is.

Maybe I've just given up being worried about it over the years or something. But I know my knees aren't anywhere close to the dashboard (unlike my '82 Mustang), and even though the headliner is shot, it's not on my head when I'm in the car.

The original seats were fine, position wise, but the new aftermarket ones sit too close and a little too high. I just don't know if leaving the seat platforms will hurt the rigidity of the chassis.

A lot of people modify the seat pan, they lower it about 1-2" and move the drivers side pan back 1-4" I was planning to do that when I did my floor pans.

You could cut them out and fabricate anything you want to replace them, the obvious issues is dealing with the carpet and floor mats after the pan is modified.

There is a method where you can make brackets to move the seat adjusters back it's a lot of work to make something where the adjusters are still functional.

I modified my seat tracks so they were mounted 3 inches back by hacking up an old set of sliders and adding 3 inches to the track of my good sliders. I welded 3 inch extensions on and cut off the mounting tabs and relocated them so the whole assembly sits back now and is still adjustable.

I modified my seat tracks so they were mounted 3 inches back by hacking up an old set of sliders and adding 3 inches to the track of my good sliders. I welded 3 inch extensions on and cut off the mounting tabs and relocated them so the whole assembly sits back now and is still adjustable.
There an idea but my sliders are all messed up and don't bolt to my aftermarket seats.

The seat pans are a STRUCTURAL PIECE & not having them WILL comprise the integrity of the floor pan ! They tie the floor pan ..inner rocker & tranny tunnel together. You can fabricate your own mount but it must tie those 3 areas together..Just slapping some reinforcements in is not going to cut the mustard.

Maybe you can mount the seat directly on the floor and do the structural pieces in a way that doesn´t afect the seat high... I can imagine some estructural joint between the tranny tunnel and the inner rocker in front of the seat for example... Just take the righe measurements in order not to limit the mobility of the seat...

The seat pans are a STRUCTURAL PIECE & not having them WILL comprise the integrity of the floor pan ! They tie the floor pan ..inner rocker & tranny tunnel together. You can fabricate your own mount but it must tie those 3 areas together..Just slapping some reinforcements in is not going to cut the mustard.
That's what I was planning. I'm basically going to mimic the seat platform with plate steel so I can mount the seat lower.

Back