Seat track plates - What for?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spechti

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 (under restoration), 1973 Lincoln Mark IV (show boat)
Hi guys,

I am just installing the seats in my Mach 1. When I bought the car, there were no seat track plates to separate the tracks from the carpeting. I was told the cars had them from about 67 to 73, so i bought some.

What is the exact purpose of these plates?

DSC02124.jpg

a.) adjustment of seat tilt (I think they are stackable)

b.) pressure distribution to avoid warps in carpet

c.) protect carpet from sharp edges on seat track foot.

d.) other reason I can't even imagine...:idea:

Michael

I have not seen them used for option A before. My estimate is to protect the carpet and avoid wrinkles in the carpet by the smaller footprint of the attaching bolt. I always forget to put them back in my 67 when taking the seats out for the never ending transmission adjustments and work.

Spechti,

I could only find one place in the Illustration Ford Master Parts Catalog.

33kw6ix.jpg

Source: Ford Motor Master Catalog

I could not locate the part number in the parts list though.

Ford No. C5ZZ-13190-A

I might have to get some myself.

Thanks

mustang7173

Oh, I see, then they are not for a 71-73, they were only used up to 1970.

Thanks for the exploded view drawing, by the way!

I think, now that I have them, I will use them. They will relief the stress on the new carpets.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Think they were for 71-73 also. Here's the writeup on them....

Mustang Scott Drake Seat Track Plate Set 1965-1973

Part Number: HW1513

Scott Drake Part Number: C5ZZ-13190-K

Set of Scott Drake Seat Track Plates for 1965-1973 Mustangs.

This set of 8 heavy steel plates, stamped in the original gauge steel and painted black is what you need to keep a space between the carpet and the seat tracks. Mustangs with bench seats only require 4 plates.

BDK

Oh, I see, then they are not for a 71-73, they were only used up to 1970.

Thanks for the exploded view drawing, by the way!

I think, now that I have them, I will use them. They will relief the stress on the new carpets.

Michael

I think I might step out into traffic and use them for option "A," since I'm thinking once I get the headliner in I'll be losing the 1.5" of head room I currently enjoy. rofl

You are right that headroom is really an issue on these cars, so it is better to have the seats as close as possible to the floor. I installed the headliner in my car a few weeks ago and realized the cabin gets really low when it's in. Even with the rods to the high positions. And with 1.82m I am not Chewbacca...

But since the Mustang even in the Deluxe interior version has no seatback reclining option, tilting the whole seat 1/4 of an inch may give you a little comfortable adjustment to achieve your favorite seating position.

You are right that headroom is really an issue on these cars, so it is better to have the seats as close as possible to the floor. I installed the headliner in my car a few weeks ago and realized the cabin gets really low when it's in. Even with the rods to the high positions. And with 1.82m I am not Chewbacca...

But since the Mustang even in the Deluxe interior version has no seatback reclining option, tilting the whole seat 1/4 of an inch may give you a little comfortable adjustment to achieve your favorite seating position.
No headroom problem in my convertible and I'm 6'4! :D (Even with the top up)

Leave it to the 'vert guys to flaunt their superior headroom. :rolleyes: rofl

Mine has some cut-down coupe platforms (since my FB platforms were shot). And unlike you other 'shorter guys,' I'm 6'5". :p rofl

I am always leery of parts listed from 65-73.
Yeah, me too. I had to replace a cigarette lighter element in my 93 Explorer, and found the part number to start with A8xx, or 1948. Yup...some things never change at Ford.

Back