Seat track(s) and springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351 4v CJ, C6, Mach 1 Decor options, power: steering, brakes and windows, a/c, Rally Pac gauges, Deluxe interior.
[url=https://ibb.co/ZVjjKXW][img]https://i.ibb.co/zrMMbxG/s-l1600-2.jpg[/img][/url]
Replacing the driver's side seat track because it's very reluctant to catch anywhere but full forward or full backward.  Ordered Friday from CJP, arrived today (Monday)!

The bolt(s) holding the track to the frame were too short by about 3/8", which is the roughly the same as the bushing between the floor and the seat track.  I chose to keep the bushing and use the original bolts.

But these springs... (see photo)  The one shown attached to the old seat track is the original, and the smaller spring to the right seems to be the replacement.  When installed it's expanded roughly the same as you see in the original.

What's the larger spring for?  I don't see anything in either the driver or passenger seat frame or track assembly that would use the larger spring.  Just a "bonus"?

73 Mustang seat track and spring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The larger spring goes from the seat track base to the seat bottom, to make the seat ride forward when the seat track release is pulled.  
Just saw that from researching in the Ford manual.  But you explained the "why" - thanks.  Clearly I didn't have one, but now that I think about I recall there was a very rusty one in the trunk when it first came home.

73 Mustang seat tracks manual.jpg

Just learned something new, my drivers seat does not have that big spring as I just had to change one of the brackets. I guess I need more parts, lol.

The diagram shows a spacer on the front right stud, is it all 4 that have the spacer? The PO(s) changed seats so what we have is not original to the car and there are pieces missing if the diagram includes a '72

Back