Seeking info on the ‘73 Mach 1 dashboard stereo speaker

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidfeldstein

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Q Code Mach 1 Sportsroof
Hi,

I have a ‘73 Mach 1. Had the optional middle console. On the top of the dash near the intersection of the windshield, there’s the original radio speaker sitting under a perforated speaker opening facing up. Does anyone know what size and type of stereo speaker I can buy to upgrade to something that won’t clip every time I turn it up? The car already has a Pioneer CD player in it with nerve speakers already installed on each door. The previous owner clearly didn’t replace the speaker facing up from the dash. Thanks!

Don't know the size, but it was a single speaker. Probably 5x7, the standard speaker. Many people upgrade to the two speaker stereo version for better sound. Lots of options available in various Mustang catalogs, I'll wager.

The dash speaker is a 5x7. I went with the Retrosound 507N speaker for the Rickster. I found that the speakers with the lugs on along the sides interfered with the bracket that it attaches to. I did need to add a couple of 1/4" deep spacers so that the face wouldn't touch the perforated plate, but that wasn't a big deal. I am going to find some 1/4" neoprene or similar to place around the perimeter to eliminate any chance for vibration to transfer tot he dash panel before final installation.

I have no idea how it sounds, yet, but once it's all done (and hopefully, that will be very soon) I'll let you know.

Back