Sheet metal fasteners

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manyo

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Hi Guys,

Anyone have any tricks and or ideas to fix sheet metal screw holes ( like the ones in the engine compartment that hold voltage regulator, windshield washer reservoir , etc..). I guess bigger screws would work but try to keep it stock looking.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Hi Guys,

Anyone have any tricks and or ideas to fix sheet metal screw holes ( like the ones in the engine compartment that hold voltage regulator, windshield washer reservoir , etc..). I guess bigger screws would work but try to keep it stock looking.

I have used a mig welder before to fill the holes then drill new ones to proper size.

You can [ sometimes ] use a dolly on the front and hammer them back down, closing the hole punched by the screw.

Hi Guys,

If the hole is not too big, you can try wrapping a piece of heavy string around the threads to help fill in the excess space. Then rescrew the fastener back into the hole but do not over tighten.

Also if you don't have access to a welder, you can ream out the hole and use a machine screw and nut (on the backside inside the wheel well), or you can try peaning in the edges of the hole using a small flat punch & hammer to close the hole up a little bit.

Mac

...if you'd like to use the same screw, as you stated, I'd just hold a small piece of sheet metal to the back of the panel and use it as a "sheet metal nut." Trim to size with snips, quarter size is good, and use a galvanized metal like a piece of 20 gauge steel stud. WEAR GLOVES! If you can apply a dab of adhesive (silicone, urethane, construction adhesive) in between, so next time you take out the screw the "nut" stays put. A real nut would require a machine screw, which wouldn't be the same screw. (stating the obvious)

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done what EBStang recommended for many years prior to restoring. It worked very well. A little caulk helped hold it in place when normal service occurs.

I've done what EBStang recommended for many years prior to restoring. It worked very well. A little caulk helped hold it in place when normal service occurs.

Thank you all for the great suggestions!!!

Back