Shelby tail light panel in a 1971 Coupe!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at doing the same mod with the tail lights is there any reason you used the 68 tail light panel over the 67 panel was it a better fit? I'm looking at using a 67 panel instead of 68 as I'm not a fan of the chrome grill on the 68 lights can the chrome grill be left off or does it look unfinished?
I don't believe there is a huge difference! If you use the steel one you will need to do some trimming to make it fit. You will also need to fill in the area where the quarter extentions bolt to.

214.jpg

187.jpg

201.jpg

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

012.JPG

010.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
resto@park-REAR.gif

I'm looking at doing the same mod with the tail lights is there any reason you used the 68 tail light panel over the 67 panel was it a better fit? I'm looking at using a 67 panel instead of 68 as I'm not a fan of the chrome grill on the 68 lights can the chrome grill be left off or does it look unfinished?
I don't believe there is a huge difference! If you use the steel one you will need to do some trimming to make it fit. You will also need to fill in the area where the quarter extentions bolt to.
I did a similar mod to my 72 sportroof around eight years ago. I had to modify the 71-73 tail light panel to accept the Thunderbird buckets and lights. It was a bit of a pain in the butt and I think it came out pretty good. I've wanted to build another ever since I sold the car. I think it looks great. Using the Shelby panel looks like the way I'll go next time. Great job!

Leon

I did a similar mod to my 72 sportroof around eight years ago. I had to modify the 71-73 tail light panel to accept the Thunderbird buckets and lights. It was a bit of a pain in the butt and I think it came out pretty good. I've wanted to build another ever since I sold the car. I think it looks great. Using the Shelby panel looks like the way I'll go next time. Great job!

Leon
Looks good. I like it with or without the chrome.

There's only one word I have for that blue Sportsroof:

WOW.

-Kurt

Thanks. That was actually a low buck rush job. I got the car from a neighbor who bought it from NYC Port Authority as an abandoned vehicle at JFK Airport. He stripped the nose and was trying remove the windshield when I rescued it for the price of a new windshield. It took about a year to build. At first I bought it for parts for my Mach but found it was a Ca car with almost no rust. Too rare a car here in salty NYC to cut up.

Mustang Ricky do you have any pics of the inside of the boot during and after mod , I'm buying a panel and doing the mod any other tips you can give mate?
As I used a steel panel I totally removed the original tail light panel. A good fabrictor is highly recommended! The biggest issue would be wiring the sequential tail light wiring harness. I don't have many pictures of the trunk.

168.jpg

174.jpg

216.jpg

023.JPG

P7160028.jpg

Hi Ricky, the tail lights look amazing - excellent work. Question, how hard was it to convert it to shelby sequential tail lights in our mustangs? I would love to do this mod on my '73 Fastback but would like to know how complicated the process is. It is obvious that I would need a welder and a fabricator in order for this to work on my project. Any help, tips, and advices would be awesome!

Someone should do the whole Cougar + Mustang hybrid.

We now know that the back end looks awesome! I love the blue fastback.

Now take the 67 XR7 hood scoop and the hide away headlights and meld them into a 71 - 73 fastback.

I think a Mougar would be killer (Moo-gar would also be a great name for a big, loyal and somewhat mean dog)

16jkmde.jpg

bhkkz9.jpg

We can even get it as a bolt on for under $200.00!

Photoshop anyone?

- Paul

Hi Ricky, the tail lights look amazing - excellent work. Question, how hard was it to convert it to shelby sequential tail lights in our mustangs? I would love to do this mod on my '73 Fastback but would like to know how complicated the process is. It is obvious that I would need a welder and a fabricator in order for this to work on my project. Any help, tips, and advices would be awesome!
I have the taillights if your interested

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-cougar-tailights-1967

Thanks mate , just looking around now for the panel so I can have it imported to the land down under , really keen
I'm out at the moment but can order one anytime

They have the buckets, lights and wiring too

Don

Item #3643EA

68 CALIFORNIA SPECIAL AND SHELBY TAIL LIGHT PANEL

Steel taillight panel for California Special and Shelby. One piece weld on replacement panel. Fits all 1968 body styles, can be modified for 1969-1970 Shelbys. Reproduction.

I have the taillights if your interested

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-cougar-tailights-1967
Appreciate it but I'm looking for the whole deal. I'll keep this in mind.

Thanks.

Back